My House IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osedax

Reaction score
Recently I won a local homebrew competition with this IPA. Yes, entered against barley based beers. This recipe won its category and took best in show. I was pretty stoked on the win. I have the "award" glasses somewhere... Anyway, just thought I would share. Let me know what you guys think. The hop schedule is pretty awesome. (shh.. its the one from Lagunitas Hop Stoopid):ban:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Non-Black IPA
Brewer: Osedax
Asst Brewer: Brandon Matrese And Andrew Kitch
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 20.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Red Millet (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 27.8 %
5 lbs White Quinoa (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 27.8 %
3 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 3 16.7 %
2 lbs Buckwheat, Oven Roasted (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 11.1 %
1 lbs Amaranth (3.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.6 %
0.75 oz Chinook [12.10 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 6 44.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Boil 12. Hop 7 38.9 IBUs
1.25 oz Chinook [12.10 %] - Boil 12.0 min Hop 8 18.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 11 5.6 %
1 lbs Honey, Buckwheat (60.0 SRM) Sugar 12 5.6 %
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18 lbs

20131103_151101_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Its clearer than it looks. And that is a dogfish head IPA glass.

That looks tasty as sin, man. When I have cleared some of my freezer space from other hops I have used, I shall smuggle some more in past SWMBO to make this. May have to change a few things due to stuff I can't get hold of, but I will let you know when I make it and how it came out. Again, was it really 100+ IBU?

Thanks. Yeah its drinkable. ;) It is a bit bitter. I didn't really have a beer recipe tool at the time. I thought it was going to be around 75...

I entered a state wide comp earlier in the year with a different beer. It was a pale ale. It did well.(tied for 3rd in category) One of the judges nicked it for not being bitter enough. So I made this monster. Ha.

The first wort hopping definitely helps smooth the bitterness. A good recipe that I am continuing to evolve.

Interested in the time and temp for your single infusion mash.
How did you mash 16 lb of grain and only come away with 7 gallons of wart for the boil? Something like this maybe: Use 1.5 quarts water per lb of grain (6 gallons). Probably left a gallon behind with the grain so that is 5 gallons. Small sparge with 2 gallons water.

Did you use any enzymes?

I will find my original notes soon. Millet and quinoa absorb more than barley. The mash temp was probably 154F. The time was definitely 60 min. The grain to water ratio was 1.25 qt/lb. I most likely used a tsp of amylase. Its not really necessary. I will get back with the notes when I find them.

Thanks.
Up until now I have been doing these complicated stepped mashes but began to realize that they were not adding enough for the trouble.

I may have been drinking as I brewed this recipe. Ha. :tank: My notes are not as good as they normally are.

I know:
The rest was at 154F for 60min at 1.25qt/lb
I batch sparged
My mill was set to .010"
My first runnings were 1.051
My pre-boil volume was 7 gallons
And my post-boil gravity was 1.064

I have some fermentation info and other odds and ends as well.

Step mashes aren't pointless. They are just more work than the payout is worth to me. I will be adding a RIMS setup soon. Hopefully I will see a difference. Single infusion is working perfectly fine right now though. I've created some good beers so far with this method. :mug:

Thanks for the info, that helps. Not sure exactly what size grist I am getting because I am using a victoria mill. By back calculating from your final gravity and adjusting for the sugars added at the end, I am guessing your total collected wart was about 1.040. That is better than what I am getting, but I am not far behind. I am doing partial mashes so I can easily adjust for "weak" wart. My plan is to bump up the grain bill a little bit and go for a single infusion mash.

Hope you post you RIMS system when you get it up and tested. I have read about RIMS and HERMS systems recently, but the descriptions are more directed at concept then execution. Seems like an effective way to provide step mash schedule with a fixed ratio of water to grist, but it also looks like a lot of extra stuff too keep working and clean.

How would one without a mill go about milling these grains? Would I be able to bring them into my LHBS and have them do it for me? This recipe looks fantastic and I would love to give it a go, otherwise ! Thanks for posting this.

Definitely can't go to the LHBS to get them milled. You will just contaminate your grist with gluten. A lot of people use corona/ victoria mills. I still have mine laying around somewhere. You can probably pick one up for under $50.

Also, I will post my RIMS set up as soon as I get it ready. Just got my other pump in 2 days ago. Getting a Jay Bird false bottom with a level 3 filter soon. Just waiting for it to arrive. Should be ready by spring brewing season. ;)

I should mention that these are all CMC malts. I really wanna try this with some grouse malt to compare.

Osedax said:
Definitely can't go to the LHBS to get them milled. You will just contaminate your grist with gluten.

Ah that's a good point. I'm not gluten intolerant myself so I hadn't thought about that issue. I was more interested in the grains used than it being gluten free. I guess it's time to start looking around for a grain mill. Thanks for the suggestion.

quick question.. where are you guys getting the grains? I'm looking to try this one as my first GF brew and not sure where to get em.

Just out of curiosity what's the purpose of using quinoa besides the gluten free factor? What does it add to the wort and how does it effect the flavors in the beer?

It supposedly adds a buttery popcorn taste. And if anything, some aroma and extra fermentables. I just did a quinoa mash to add to my extract brew but with 2 kids running around the house I got distracted and forgot to mash out! Hopefully I got something off of it!

Those malts came from Colorado malting co. However, I currently use Grouse co. because CMC is pretty unreliable where I live. I also like to support start ups like Grouse.

Quinoa has a lower gelantinization point and higher extraction than almost any other gluten free malt. It has a bit of a grassy taste. I can see the popcorn thing in the end beer. Its pretty light and doesn't add all that much. Millet has a much stronger malt flavor but, has lower extraction. Hence, the blend.

I should mention that these are all CMC malts. I really wanna try this with some grouse malt to compare.

ahh.. you had answered my question with this post before i even asked it. (i didn't know what CMC meant). Is there a difference between the malts from each company? Quality?

Yup. Just like barley, there is a difference between maltsters. CMC has a pretty big commercial operation and can make a vast array of malts. They do a solid job. Their crystal malt is welcome in any of my beers. However, they are always late with my orders. They also use red millet instead of white millet.

Grouse uses white millet. Not as good of a taste but, much higher extraction. Twila, from Grouse, is also very nice. She is always willing to give tips and loves when you give feedback. Their dark roast is amazing as well. As soon as Grouse gets their commercial equipment up and running, they will be major players. Right now they only have 4 malts. All just different roasts. Pale, light, medium, and dark.

Either maltster is fine and will provide a good product. I just prefer Grouse because of the customer service. Wish I had more empirical data on CMC's other malts though.

Yup. Just like barley, there is a difference between maltsters. CMC has a pretty big commercial operation and can make a vast array of malts. They do a solid job. Their crystal malt is welcome in any of my beers. However, they are always late with my orders. They also use red millet instead of white millet.

Grouse uses white millet. Not as good of a taste but, much higher extraction. Twila, from Grouse, is also very nice. She is always willing to give tips and loves when you give feedback. Their dark roast is amazing as well. As soon as Grouse gets their commercial equipment up and running, they will be major players. Right now they only have 4 malts. All just different roasts. Pale, light, medium, and dark.

Either maltster is fine and will provide a good product. I just prefer Grouse because of the customer service. Wish I had more empirical data on CMC's other malts though.

Ahh.. awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

I tried my first AG gf brew today....started w a 1 gallon batch to get the hang of it first.

2.5 lbs grouse pale malt
0.5 lb cmc Munich
0.25 lbs cmc crystal 60

I added 4 oz of rice syrup solids as was not sure what efficiency I would get.

I was pretty shocked to get OG if 1.074.....I was planning on 1.055 to 1.060. My target FG is 1.02....that would yield a 7% beer! Fine with me was not expecting that high of efficiency.

I did a BIAB mash 30 min at 165 then dropped to 140 for 60 min and added enzyme.

I'm really excited to try this beer

Quick math in my head.... guessing around 75-80% extraction? Seems good. Twila from Grouse actually recommends a rest at 163F.

What style is this? Yeast? Hops? Also what kind of enzymes?

Glad to hear you had success with a simple mash. Hope it attenuates well. You also might consider starting a new thread if you want to give us all the details and progress reports. :beer:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Beersmith is telling me to use 11.3 gallons of water total with mash and sparge. does this sound right? I generally do about 9 gallons.....also i had to manually add these grains to beersmith. does anyone know if there is a add on that has these grains? new to GF this recipe might set me free ! Does anyone know if CMC will crush grains ?

This is going to be a tricky one. 11.3 gallons does sound right. I mash at 1.25 qt/lb. However, millet seems to absorb a little more than barley. I had to adjust the grain absorption in the options. It tells you not to but, I did anyway. I don't fully remember what the number was at this point. I can post later if you need me to. It's only a little bit higher than default.

There is no database entry for this malt in beersmith. Every malt is different and would require an easy to access malt analysis sheet. You can use my numbers no problem. I would ask Tim over at CMC for the sheets. He's usually willing to help out.

I doubt CMC will grind it. Never hurts to ask. Like I said Tim is a good guy. I can upload my specs if you would like. Make a small malt listing maybe as well. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks - when entering the grains into beersmith is the srm the key thing I need to enter so it will adjust my gravity accordingly?

damn, that is a funky looking recipe. Almost everything that you can use is used, and it looks like it would probably taste like a great hoppy IPA. Looks good in the glass too!

Thanks, man. I'm trying to keep developing it. It's one of the only recipes I have on constant rotation. It's a really great hop schedule.

@oasis Ppg and gravity points are what your after. It may also be extraction potential. Srm controls color. I believe CMC red millet is 1.014 ppg. White millet is closer to 1.025. I will try to upload some values tomorrow if I remember.

Ose,

Very nice job and thanks for sharing this. I have a friend diagnosed about a year ago as glueten intolerant. He was saying how much healthier he is without it in general and that the one thing he really misses is a good IPA. This guy grew up in Portland OR, now living in VT and knows good IPA. Seeing that far away look in his eyes just broke my beer loving heart. Your recipe certainly looks like it fits his bill and I wanted to brew a surprise batch of it up for him as his B-day is next month.

My question is around the Buckwheat and Amaranth in your recipe. Are they also malted? If yes what variety of buckwheat did you purchase from CMC. I see on their website there are multiple choices of buckwheat. The closest appears to be the Colo-Munich Buckwheat based on the Lovibond. You mention oven roasting it so it could be a different one that you colored yourself. Could you elaborate on the oven roasting process you used?

I also see that Amaranth is only available in their custom section in minimums of 250lbs. Did they sell you a smaller sample size? Or did you buy the big sack and might you have any for sale? Or did you not use a malted Amaranth?

I assume Flaked corn is the same as the stuff I can get at my LHBS.

Any and all help is definitely appreciated. Thanks again for sharing!

:mug: -Commonwealth-

From one commonwealther to the other, I think I can help. :p

CMC has changed a good bit since I made this recipe. Amaranth is only there for head retention. It works great but, is unnecessary. I was able to get the amaranth in 5# increments but, they have since changed. Actually, I used to get it from my LHBS.

The Munich buckwheat is probably about right. I believe that I sprinkled a bit of water on the buckwheat and threw them in the oven for like 30-45 minutes at 350F(?). I am unsure because I do not have my notes in front of me but, it sounds right.

Another thing I would recommend is a nice sized hop stand. I am really starting to enjoy them.

Good luck on the recipe! I hope it works for you.

Osedax,

Do you have a current source for quinoa? I have been dying to try it but unable to find a source already malted.

I have been using Buckwheat for head retention and have had good luck with it, but in the range of 25% of grain bill I have found I have to cereal mash to keep the "muck factor" down. Do you know if the head retention properties differ much between pale and roasted malt?

Chris

I do not have current supplier of quinoa. I used to get it from CMC but, it became harder and harder till I stopped using them all together. You could try hitting them up.

Quinoa I'd great. Amazing extraction that is on par with barley. However, it doesn't taste like much (could be good or bad) and is almost as gummy as buckwheat.

Head retention in the same grain differs between kilns and I am willing to bet heavily roasted malts have less head retention than pale. Pale amaranth malt was my go to for head retention in IPAs. It worked wonders. 1# in a 5 gallon batch did the trick. It also tasted a bit like hay...

Ose, so what do you use instead of the malted quinoa? Unmalted or do you submalted millet or other? What does this recipe look like now?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back