My Hops... concerns...??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
So here are my first years hops... Cascades are the only ones that came up...

IMAG0445.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

THe leaves on the bottom are a little yellow, but the hops are coming along. You can see I ran out of room, so I am running some lattice on top of my roof, so they can grow along the roof... LOL... Next year I will build something better.

Looks good! I like cascade a lot, good choice. I wish i was in a climate that i could grow hops, Vegas in an apartment doesnt really work though.

Looks pretty good, some leaves inevitably turn yellow and some get eaten up. As long as there isn't huge yellowing or a mass feast by beetles or aphids, I just ignore it.

No, I ordered some a while back... Just hasnt arrived.... He is the President of Nigeria and I won some sort of lottery... Sent them my bank information and everything. I expect to hear from them soon. :)

oops... I forgot to put the smiley face at the end of mine.. I wonder if they pat people down out there on the Citra farms... They should make the women work naked just like the cocaine plants... That way no one could sneak out a rhizome... well... maybe...

Looks like you might have some caterpillars munching your leaves...I had a s**t tonne of them on mine this year and the tricky little buggers are the SAME COLOUR as teh underside of the leaves where they like to hide. I tried a mixture of soap and water (40 parts water to 1 part mild dish soap) but I found it to be more effective to just get on a ladder, look for the and squish them as I found them.

Other than that one leaf I saw, they look good for first year. Expect a lot more next year!

I have some 2nd year centennial hops that did fantastic this year. I was thinking of harvesting them but didn't think they were quite ready about 2 weeks ago. We went on vacation for a week and a half and now the cone leave tips have turned pretty brown on most. It it too late? Have they gone by? Or should they still be good to use?

They look a little like one of the pics posted earlier in this thread that show a cone with brown on the tips of the cones only mine have more brown.

This is what many of my cones looked like. Some are/were worse. They still smelled good. Are these ok to use?

DSC03338 (480x640).jpg

Love the idea. What climate, state are you in? Is too hot in Central Texas for most strains... Love what the private growers are doing in ME.

If they smell good I'm sure they're still fine to use. You probably just picked them at the end of the "acceptable" time frame.

Back