My home-brewed keg washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMullan

wort maker
Reaction score
Doing a cask in hot PBW today...

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0340.JPG
DSC_0344.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0342.JPG
    DSC_0342.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was so inspired by McMullan's keg washer I hauled mine out to clean kegs. Mine sits in the brewery sink that has PBW and hot water. Quarter HP submersible pump installed in a five gallon pail with drilled holes.

The keg washer is getting so much use I'm now calling it 'brewery washer'. It's being used for my cask, kegs, FVs, yeast trough, silicone hose, fittings, anything that fits in there really. It uses 3L hot PBW, which can be reheated on the kitchen hob, if required. I use 4L when cleaning the CFC.
DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0580.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

IMG_20220916_213220.jpg

Last edited:
I love it. Definitely taking this design and running with it. Do you have some sort of screen on the return port so small parts don't get sucked into the pump?

What spray ball are you using? How happy are you with the upward spraying action from the Riptide pump?

It’s ‘micro’ spray ball. Got it off aliexpress a few years back. It works well with the RipTide. Very effective at distributing hot PBW solution. If I need to blast something like a dirty FV, I use a barbed fitting to create a powerful jet. Spray ball is better for cleaning stuff I throw into the washer (bucket) with the lid on.

Is that an adjustable pipe that you have from the base of the bucket to the sprayball?
I have my pipe/spray ball setup for corny keg washing and when I have a pin laid on the side like your photo above it's too tall which means I rig up some blocks to raise the pin up.

Totally forgot about this thread....

I may copy that. I had a washer I made using a sterilite container and lots of PVC plumbing, but yours is a lot easier and simpler.

EDIT: @McMullan Did you just use triclamp (1.5"?) bulkheads for the inlet/outlet? I'm wondering if I can get away with 1/2" NPT bulkheads to save money.

Last edited:
Totally forgot about this thread....

I may copy that. I had a washer I made using a sterilite container and lots of PVC plumbing, but yours is a lot easier and simpler.

EDIT: @McMullan Did you just use triclamp (1.5"?) bulkheads for the inlet/outlet? I'm wondering if I can get away with 1/2" NPT bulkheads to save money.
The outlet is 1/2". The inlet is a bit unique, 1 1/2" double TC ferrule one end (underneath) and 1/2" female the other end (inside the large bulkhead locking nut).

The outlet is 1/2". The inlet is a bit unique, 1 1/2" double TC ferrule one end (underneath) and 1/2" female the other end (inside the large bulkhead locking nut).

Was there a reason why you went with the 1 1/2" double TC ferrule or could you just stay with female 1/2"?

Back