My HERMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeerMedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So after a LOT of reading, re-reading and re-re-reading, I bit the bullet. It's taken a little longer than I might have liked, but life gets in the way at times.

I obtained 3 Sanke kegs and decided to use them as my brew vessels.

I called Bobby at BrewHardware.com and made a couple of orders... getting the pull through solder fittings and getting them soldered in and watertight. I now have the vessels completed

Found a pair of elements through Home Brew talk classifieds and a couple of fittings from Bobby get them installed.
Next, a call to Stainless Brewing for the HERMS coil, got it installed relatively easily.
The rest of the fittings, pumps and hoses will be here this week (if the snow holds off), then the panel will be left. That has me debating which panel, how many amps I want to do, etc.

So be kind in the comments. I do plan on using the wooden bench I have it on for now, until I get the brew shed built. I haven't brewed in over a year and I miss it. This will get me going I think.....

For some reason I can't see the pics. Just wanted to wish you luck with your build. I built one also with kegs and made a Kal clone. I love mine and I make fantastic beer with it. If you have questions building it or using it, this is the right forum to ask away!

John

How about now on the pics?
Pics are good!:rock:

Looks like clean work... Can I bring my keggles down for a touch-up on the buffing ? :) (I know from experience how much of a PITA that is )

Looks like you have a nice collection of sixtels too, Props for choosing a proper beer keg for the goods.

Are you planning on building a controller?, or buying one ? Generally speaking, unless you plan on doing 2 batches at once, you'd never need more than 1 element running at once, and a 30A circuit will do it.

Last edited:
Kegs look great!

I plan on doing the same thing. I already have the kegs with a few couplers but I need more welded on. I also plan on welding TC ferrules for the heating elements.

As far as the Herms coil. Did you go weldless, is so was it hard to drill thru the stainless steel?

What are you doing for the control panel? I plan on buying a from ebrewsupply. Makes it much easier with 0% financing!

IMG_1516461066.383142.jpg

IMG_1516481159.321239.jpg
IMG_1516481172.358417.jpg
IMG_1516481188.749657.jpg
IMG_1516481201.200923.jpg

Just finished putting together my MASHTUN. All I need the RTD probe in the t fitting.

Not sure if I schools keep the thermometer or go with a sight glass.

As fast as sparging, currently I have tubing for it but I also have a Blinchmann sparge arm

Kegs look great!

I plan on doing the same thing. I already have the kegs with a few couplers but I need more welded on. I also plan on welding TC ferrules for the heating elements.

As far as the Herms coil. Did you go weldless, is so was it hard to drill thru the stainless steel?

What are you doing for the control panel? I plan on buying a from ebrewsupply. Makes it much easier with 0% financing!

View attachment 554489

I drilled all of my fittings and then soldered them in place, including the 1.5 TC fitting for the elements. As long as you go slow, let the bit do the work and keep some oil on it, it's not bad at all. I did wear two 1/8 drill bits out though. I used a step bit to open the holes up and then used a Greenlee punch set to make all of the holes the final size.

As far as the panel goes, I'm torn between getting a kit from ebrewsupply.com or following what Brian over at shortcicuitedbrewers.com did for his. (getting all the parts, wire etc from Auberins). Like to tinker, so I'm kinda leaning toward the latter...

Last edited:
Kegs look great!

View attachment 554489
Those legs are so shiny. I understand how it happens, but why upkeep them? That's a lot of work.

Kegs look great!

View attachment 554489
But for real... Those might be the shiniest keggles I have seen!

I have a real good friend that owns a polishing shop and he polished them for me.

I’m going to get rid of the temperature dials and install and RTD probe. There is a t fitting in all of them. Should I install 4” probe so that the water or wort are directly touching the probe? Or would I be fine with 1.5” probe? The probe need to be close to the element?

Ok, minor setback. I got all the wiring on the panel done (or so I thought) and I wired the 220 volt in the room with the spa panel. Spa panel and all work great. Plugged in the panel and the PID's all lit up (yay), but the key switch was in the OFF position. turning it the other way made no difference. The pump switches didn't work, and when I hit the element select switch ... a loud buzz followed by a smoke like smell... I popped the breaker off before anything fried..... back to the wiring diagram and see where I went wrong.

Well after going over connections and some rewiring, I have a brewery!! I have fired and heated water in both keggles, pumped water around from one to another, auto tuned a PID....

Now just to heat up some PBW and pump it throughout the system and get it cleaned up... then milk stout....

I want to thank highland_brewer for the inspiration, motivation and support.

Last edited:
Back