My first wheat beer - need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wafflesco

Reaction score
Hi, I have previously only made spirits and ciders. I wanted to brew a wheat beer because that's my current favorite but it looks like from what i'm reading beer brewing is a bit more complex than what i'm used to, so I have a couple of questions.

Setup:
Keg and tap setup
Temperature controlled fridge
Bottle filling Beer gun

I have bought a TCB Summer Wheat wetpak for about $45 AUD

Previously with ciders I have let the fermentation finish then cold crashed at 1 degree for 2 days before transferring to my keg and force carbonating.

I understand from what I have read that beer benefits from some time sitting in a primary or secondary container after it's finished fermenting for approx a week. and I wanted to know if cold crashing and transferring it to the keg after a couple of days counts or if it needs to stay at fermentation temperature for that week. Also having never seen so much froth on top of a fermentation how do you take a reading??? Just scoop it off? I am only three days into this run.

You don't need to take readings or anything else at this point. Just let it sit there for at least a week, preferably 2. At that point, all the froth will have dropped down and the beer will start to clear. At that point, you can take readings and confirm fermentation is complete. If so, cold crash and keg at your convenience.

Latest posts

Back