My first stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
So, I pitched this latest batch onto the yeast cake from my last batch. First batch was a Belgian Wit . . . next batch is another wheat beer to which I am going to flavor half of it with some Cranberry flavoring. Primary fermentation seemed to go fast - started within an hour of throwing the wort over the yeast in the primary fermentation bucked - and furious . . . definite slowing of bubbles in the third day. I assumed that I had a good primary fermentation because the amount of yeast I started with.

When I racked to secondary after a week, I was shocked that the gravity had yet to get as low as I expected. It started at close to 1.060 and is now reading only 1.042. I decided to keep a close eye on it, thinking that the yeast would become more active after racking . . . no such luck . . . it bubbles once a minute or so.

I also moved the carboy to the basement for secondary - maybe a bit too cold.

Anyway, I just brought the carboy back upstairs and pitched a packet of Cooper's dry ale yeast. . . I hope I can get it going again.,

I would say either too low of a primary temperture or a lack of aeration of the wort caused it. Try warming it up and pitching your new yeast. You should have made sure your primary was finished before racking so as to keep it on the yeast. You still should be fine.

What was the original yeast? I've made two belgium wit's (WLP400 I believe off the top of my head) and both took forever to ferment out. 6-8 weeks in 72-74 temps. You didn't have similar issues with the initial batch?

Yep . . .it was the white labs strain - wlp#400. Teh initial batch went slowly . . .but not like this.

The more I think about it . . .the more I am thinking this - wlp#400 is a low flocculating yeast. This means that it stays suspended in the beer for long periods of time, right? Perhaps when I racked my first batch, I took most of the yeast into secondary because it hadn't fallen out of the beer to the bottom. Maybe I did not have the amount of yeast I thought I had. Would this be the case?

I can't imagine that I did not have enough yeast because my second batch was bubbling away hours after putting it in the bucket.

I suspect that low aeration is a problem . . .is there any way that I can get air into the fermenter at this point without oxidizing my beer? I don't have an aeration stone, etc.

I don't suggest aerating at this point (although some brewers do this to get a stuck fermentation unstuck). The addition of dry yeast should help. You could also make a very large starter, aerate it well and grow some yeast in there (seed from the primary if you can). Then pitch only this fresh yeast sediment.

Here is a good article about stuck fermentation. It has been posted on this board some time ago. http://brewery.org/brewery/library/EnzStuckFermAW1095.html

Kai

So . . . my addition of dry yeast has done nothing. No new fermentation happening :mad:

Is it possible that I did not get good conversion in my mash? I mashed at 154 for nearly 2 hours (I don't usually mash that long . . . but had to do it that day). I can't imagine good malt not converting given those conditions.

You may just be in the boat I was in. Keep waiting... Weeks may be needed. My end result was quite tasty. It did force me to go purchase another carboy as well. Not a bad thing though; never enough equipment.

Still have krausen?

No krausen . . . the beer is even starting to get "bright" - clearing up quite nicely. I've been doing consistent hydrometer readings . . . no changes - but I haven't taken one in the past few days. Doesn't taste too bad . . . just pretty sweet.

Back