My First Mead. *Pic* Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvindc125

Reaction score
My first mead ever. I racked it to the secondary sunday and it cleared over night. I didnt add anything to it. It simply cleared on its on. I used a pound of raw local honey and 2 cups of brown sugar with Champaign yeast EC1118. It fermented to 10% ABV. My question is after I racked it to the secondary I noticed I have a bit of empty space. I dont have anything to fill in that space with. You cant see it in the pic but I have an airlock fitted on the top of the jug. Will this hurt the mead in anyway? Check out the pic below. It sure looks pretty if anything.

1378223_10200686709482188_2025545434_n.jpg

honey and water mixture equal to your current gravity. The honey will cloud it back up a bit, but it will drop clear again. Age it out and enjoy.

Is head space not okay when racking mead to secondary?

It is frowned upon, unless you used ingredients with antioxidant properties. In this case, with 1 pound of honey and 2 cups of brown sugar, well, there's really nothing to save it now.

Why not package it? It is clear, depending on what you want for carbonation you could bottle/keg very soon. I am guessing you didn't purge the container with C02, that should help protect the mead.

Back