My first mead and I need some opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uhhidkwhatimdoing

Reaction score
Alright so I am very new to mead making I have made one gallon of mead using 3 pounds of orange blossom honey, a cup of black tea, 2 ounces of chopped raisins and a packet of lalvin 71b. It has been fermenting for about 3 months now and it would seem as though all fermentation has been halted for a while but I have been scared to continue because I haven’t been sure if this is what it is supposed to look like and everything. So basically what I’m trying to ask is “is this normal and am I ready to move on to secondary now?” See attached picture. I would assume that the big dog food looking bits are raisins that expanded because of the water and everything but wanted to make sure that everything was looking ok. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
I'm no expert mead maker but I have made a couple batches. I think that looks fine and you could definitely rack to secondary.

If it's been 3 months, chances are it's done, however, have you taken a reading yet? If you get 3 consecutive readings over the course of 2 weeks, it is likely done. What is your current gravity?

If it's been 3 months, chances are it's done, however, have you taken a reading yet? If you get 3 consecutive readings over the course of 2 weeks, it is likely done. What is your current gravity?
I didn’t invest in a gravity reader because I was just trying to check it out and experiment to dip my toes in the water. Probably should’ve just spent the $15 or whatever to get one tho.

As @Dan O says, a hydrometer is an essential tool for making any brewing product.

3 months should be more than enough time for your yeast to eat through your sugars. Rack it, let it sit for a few months, and then enjoy. While you're doing that read. (or if you're into videos watch the "Ask the Meadmaker" series on YT)

Looks good to me! Rack it, get it as clear as you can and bottle. I would put as much away for aging as you can stand. It will get better with age. I age mine for well over a year. Enjoy!

Back