my first keg (summary and questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I brewed a bev hefe, it has finished fermenting and is ready to go. My desire is to get 2.5 to 3 volumes of co2 and serve my hefe. I am not interested in a rush method to drink it today, but would be happy mid to late week.
What do I need to do with regulator to accomplish my goals?

I bought some kegging gear and a chest freezer. freezer w/ JC A419 set at 40 Deg F
I refurbished a corny via cleaning sanitizing and new seals.
I filled the corny with co2 and brought it down into my brew room in basement
I racked from carboy into corny, (did not leave to much head space)
How much open space is required or desired?
I carried the full corny out to the garage and hit it with a quick blast of co2
I purged some of the co2 and set the regulator to 15 psi walked inside and figured I should ask HBT what am I supposed to do?

Thanks

deathweed said:
I fixed it for you, don't know if this is what you meant, but there ya go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filter
Will see if i did this right
1)Transfer beer to Clean and sanitized keg
2) set PSI 30 and purge the headspace in the keg 3 times
3) then put in Frig and leave for 36 hour at 30psi
4) turn off gas, and relieve pressure on the keg a couple times before settiing to 10 psi for drinking

I saw this in another thread is this the recommended method for my situation.

36 hours at 30 psi may not be enough to fully carb. Give it a try, and if it seems under carbed, you can 1) either increase the presure back to 30 psi for another day or longer, 2) spend a few minutes shaking/rolling your keg (taking care to try to not get beer into your gas in post) to agitate and encourage the CO2 to go into suspension or 3) leave it at serving pressure longer to let it carb.

Personally, I shake-carb all of my beers, except for my last batch, which primed in the keg. I rack to the keg, seal and purge a few times, increase the pressure to about 20 psi and sit down in a chair with the keg (still attached to gas) laying down on my lap, gas in post up.
I grab the top and bottom, and rock it back and forth for a few minutes to slosh the beer around. As I do so, I can hear gas flowing out of the regulator as the gas in the headspace of the keg goes into suspension. I then drop back to serving pressure, bleed, and leave it alone for an hour or so, and then it's ready to go!

Back