My First Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostdriveway

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm new to the threads, and new to Home Brewing. My mate left for overseas and gave me his home brew set up so I thought I would try my hand at a Cider for my first go, since the wife and I have been on a bit of a cider craze lately.

Anyway, my batch has been in the fermentor for 2 weeks today and has had a reading of 1.020 for the last 48 hours with little to no bubbling going on.
Someone told me I should stir up the yeast to see if that kicks things off again.

I'm in Australia and it is currently the middle of winter - temp has been reading around the 21-22 degree mark since putting the brew down.

My mix is a Black Rock Cider Kit with 2kg Sugar (wanted it to be a little alcoholic...) plus 14L of Berri Apple Juice (No additives) and roughly 4L of Water.

It initially tastes pretty good, but also has a Champagne taste about it to me.

Any help would be appreciated!

What yeast did you use? Try setting it somewhere where it's a bit warmer, don't know about you but I don't think it got much over 12 degrees down here today due to wind chill. Don't bottle it just yet, I think the temperature is slowing down your yeast!

The yeast I used was the packet that came with the black rock mix. The only place I can think of that might be warmer is the garage.. Black roller door makes it heat up during the day. Today was 21 outside so it was nice, but still feels cold in the house.
I'll keep an eye on it for another couple of days and try moving it to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for your help!

No worries, I wouldn't bottle it until it gets to around 1.000 with a few points above or below and stable for a good few days. What did the packet say it should end up as?

If it's lot a lager yeast the you should be fermenting at ~ 64-82 deg f. If your at that temp and its still really high you might have a stuck fermentation, if that is the case search thee forums for what to do next. If it is a lager yeast you can keep it cool, it will just take time.

Back