My First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Started my first all grain today, I only made a 3 gallon batch. An american Brown. The guy at the HBS said my gravity would be around 1050-1060. I got a 1054. I did not find it that difficult, it seems when you read the threads and all the pics its looks harder than what it is. We'll see how it turns out...Sure does smell good.

Congrats on getting into the a.g! I hope to be doing my first a.g batch in about a week (still waiting for some equip in the mail). Let us know how it turns out!

Congratulations on your first All Grain!. I'm betting it'll be the first of many!. It is difficult to describe the mashing process and it does look complex. But once you try it you realise it ain't that difficult after all. Once you've done a couple of brews and tasted the difference you'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago!. Don't forget to let us know how it turns out.

can you describe your set up and proccess? i'm curious. i've been doing a mini mash with about half the grain you'd normally use for a five gallon batch and dme to get the rest of the fermentables.

the pale ale i bottled last week tasted pretty good before i put it in the bottles.

i'm still on the transitional bubble, the malt extract is killing me, killing me in the price dept.... i spend as much on extract as i do grain, yeast and hops... sooooo it won't be long before i go all grain... i'll have to move the operation outdoors though, as the kitchen stove i don't think can handle the increased volume of liquid on the burner...

Dark_Ale said:
Started my first all grain today, I only made a 3 gallon batch. An american Brown. The guy at the HBS said my gravity would be around 1050-1060. I got a 1054. I did not find it that difficult, it seems when you read the threads and all the pics its looks harder than what it is. We'll see how it turns out...Sure does smell good.

congrats on the AG! i hope i kegged my last grain/extract yesterday? going to the local HBS this weekend and plan on buying my ingredients for my first AG. i noticed your from Houston? i'm from outside Beaumont. did you know that St. Arnold's is having an American Homebrewers Association membership drive this Sunday? it's from 1-4 pm, and entry fee i believe is $34? it covers your one year membership to the AHA, plus they are going to tap a cask, have some homebrew shops there, etc. Should be cool.

keep us posted on the american brown! :D
DeRoux's Broux

Latest posts

Back