My first AG attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chase22

Reaction score
So, I brewed my first batch of beer without a drop of extract in it today. It was a Bavarian Hefeweizen, in honor of this beautiful spring weather. It was a half batch (2.5 gallons) based on EdWort's recipe. This is because I only have a 12 qt. pot right now, but also because I've only brewed a handful of styles, and I tend to get antsy about brewing a new batch halfway through the 5 gallons of the last one.

Anyway, a few comments. First of all, mashing. Ugh. Not for the faint of heart. I'm using a 10 gallon Rubbermaid MLT, and only needed to add a gallon of strike water to my 5.5 gallons of grain. Well I use a SS analog thermometer probe, and I just kind of stuck in in the grain after mixing it. Well even though I raised the heat to 172', after 5 minutes the grain was only 140'. I added some boiling water, just to have the temp rise to 160'. I kept having to add boiling and cold water until I finally hit 152', but with about twice the strike water necessary. Because of this, I only ended using about half of the runnings from my sparge addition.

I definitely need to mark my pot or mash paddle so that I know how much liquid is in there.

Also, this is the first time I've used an anti-heading agent in the boil. I just wanna say what a difference it makes! I still managed to boil over for a second (of course) but after that I was able to leave it alone for the entire hour. I'm on an electric stove, and I usually have to adjust the temp. up and down continuously. Not very fun. But yea, with just half a package of the anti-heading agent my LHBS supplied added at the beginning of the boil, it was smooth sailing. I will definitely be adding this to my monthly grocery list.

Anyway, the wort is in the carboy, and the supplies are in the dishwasher. It took up the whole evening, but hey, it's a labor of love. I know that things will go more smoothly the next time around.

It's pretty normal to have issues with strike water and mash temps at first. It doesn't sound like anything really bad happened so I'd consider that a very successful brew day. Welcome to all grain!

Welcome to the AG collective!

I'm a recent convert too. I too had significant problems maintaining my temperatures during the mashing process. Couple things that will help and things to consider;

1) Preheating your mash tun will help you hit the right temperature. Just put some water in there that's about the temperature you intend to mash at and let it sit for 20-30 minutes while you're preparing your goods...
2) There's some latency in thermometers that will drive you NUTS!!! Don't sweat adding hot/cold water right away. Stir your mash really well when you dough in and let it sit for 10 minutes with your thermometer stuck down in there. Take a reading and take no action if your temp is off. Wait another 5 minutes before making an additional hot/cold water addition.
3) Don't try to make huge changes all at once.
4) Don't worry about being a couple/few degrees off on your temperature. Being too hot will denature the Beta Amalayse a little faster but it still takes some time to denature it completely. Being too low will allow more Beta Amalayse action to take place, resulting in a bit more conversion.

All-in-all, it sounds like you had a good brewing day. If the beer tastes good, then don't sweat it.

The best thing I can say is that your batched will get quicker and smoother the more you do. THe first one is always the most hectic and soul destroying haha. Congrats though

Back