My entire house smells like dog ****

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
So funny story. Thus weekend I whipped up a batch of edworts apfelwein (a house favorite as my wife has a gluten allergy and can't drink beer). Pitched a packet of montrachet yeast as usual.

My mom came over to watch the kids during the week and spent the day searching the house for a missing pile of dog poo. When we got home she swore we needed to take the dog to the vet because either he hid diarrhea somewhere in the house, or had terrible gas.

I guess my wife and I have become immune to the lovely sulphery smell of a good fermentation. We all had a good laugh.

I make lots of cider and the few times I've gotten that smell, it also ends up being an off flavor & aroma that for me, makes the cider un-drinkable.
The smell is actually Hydrogen sulfide and some people say the Motrachet yeast often produces that smell, so I never use it.

I make lots of cider and the few times I've gotten that smell, it also ends up being an off flavor & aroma that for me, makes the cider un-drinkable.
The smell is actually Hydrogen sulfide and some people say the Motrachet yeast often produces that smell, so I never use it.

The cider always turns out great - been on our frequent keg rotation for some time now. Never had a foul taste despite the unfortunate fermentation aromas. :)

However, it would be fun to somehow bottle up the smell. I'm sure I could find some nefarious uses for that! :eek:

Back