My DIY Glycol Chiller has Rust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi HBT,
My DIY glycol chiller, made from a window AC unit, has formed rust after two years. The AC unit was very old and used when I first built the chiller, and unfortunately I forgot to spray Rustoleum on it. Should I build a new one before my pump dies?
The reservoir is a 14 gallon cooler, which costs me about $200 in glycol (with a 60/40 mix). I’m reluctant to drop another $200 to have it rust again. Should I look into a Penguin chiller that doesn’t rust and costs much less in glycol for my 5 gal batches?

Thanks, Jon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
Hi HBT,
My DIY glycol chiller, made from a window AC unit, has formed rust after two years. The AC unit was very old and used when I first built the chiller, and unfortunately I forgot to spray Rustoleum on it. Should I build a new one before my pump dies?
The reservoir is a 14 gallon cooler, which costs me about $200 in glycol (with a 60/40 mix). I’m reluctant to drop another $200 to have it rust again. Should I look into a Penguin chiller that doesn’t rust and costs much less in glycol for my 5 gal batches?

Thanks, Jon
What I did with mine was get an in line filter form Home Depot to foster out the rust. I also pulled the AC unit and trimmed the sheet metal, but make sure you wear gloves/

Back