My current plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babylon

Reaction score
My plan has been to start with an Irish Stout and then put an imperial stout on the yeastcake for the Irish stout when I put it into secondary. The Irish kit I bought had two cans of LME one light and one amber, flaked barley, and "specialty grains" which seemed to be roasted barley. I also threw in a little DME, I'd say about 1/4 to 1/3 lb, I didn't measure it, partly to see how that stirred in and partly to kick it up a little. The way the kit was put together seemed really simple and I am thinking of building my own kit for the Imperial rather than buying a premade one. Would doubling the malts (four cans, 2 light 2 amber) and increasing the quantities and steeping time on the grains make a tolerable Imperial? I know it will need to ferment a bit longer, both in primary fermentation and secondary. My Irish Stout has only been in the primary for 3 days now and is still bubbling, although not as vigourously as it was at first (watching the blowoff tube let out huge belching bubbles was fun the first day) I figure I have about 12 days or so to let it sit in there and decide what direction I want to go with the Imperial.

I read somewhere that you should always pitch a stronger beer onto a yeast cake. For instance pitch an IPA onto an APA yeast cake. I also read that it was recommended not to pitch on a yeast cake from a beer with a high EtOH content. It makes sense. But you are pitching an Imp Stout onto a stout cake, so that seems ok. Good luck, man. The forum is great for any questions you might have throughout your process.
-Jefe-

Latest posts

Back