My Brew Years Resolution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersteiner2345

Reaction score
So I started brewing last year in April. Have about 10 batches under my belt.

I noticed that starting in late October I started spending WAY WAY WAY too much money on commercial beer. Take December for example. I spent more money in commercial beer than I did on my two car payments combined! Granted my car payments combined are less than $300, but $300 is still a crap load of money to spend on beer when I have 3 kegs of homebrew in the keezer that tastes great.

That, and I don't have the budget right now to spend that much on beer.

So my brewyears resolution?

I am limiting myself to 2 6 packs of commercial beer per month, or $25 overall each month in case I buy a bomber. And that is to split between my wife and I.

To help, I have the three kegs in the keezer, one batch of apfelwein that is almost done, and will be brewing 2 batches (one stout and one pale ale) in the next 3 weeks. Have to have a 3 week gap between because I only have room for one carboy or bucket in my son of fermentation chiller.

So I am not specifically saying I have to brew more. But if I want more than 6 beers a month, I will have to brew about one batch every month to keep my wife and me up to our preferred rate of consumption.

Anyone have a similar resolution?

Dude, if I was drinking that much of any beer (that's like 225 bottles at $8 a 6-pack, or 7-8 bottles a day between the two of you, every day), my resolution would be to not die from cirrhosis of the liver within the next 3 months.

In other words, that's a good resolution to make. I hope you stick with it.

Dude, if I was drinking that much of any beer (that's like 225 bottles at $8 a 6-pack, or 7-8 bottles a day between the two of you, every day), my resolution would be to not die from cirrhosis of the liver within the next 3 months.

In other words, that's a good resolution to make. I hope you stick with it.

I am going to assume that he was getting some of the pricier 6 packs and bottles and also going to bars.

I am going to assume that he was getting some of the pricier 6 packs and bottles and also going to bars.

Partly correct. I bought a lot of expensive bombers.

AKA- I bought $300 worth of beer. Didn't drink that much. Still drank too much though. I should have been more clear. This is a financial resolution, not a consumption based. On average I have less than two pints a night.

Think about this, at an average of $10 a bomber, $300 is one bomber (or less than two pints) a night between my wife and I for the month of December. Not counting that I still have 4 of them, and that I shared several of them with my brother too...

Back