My BIAB style brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orval

Reaction score
Finally my project is about to be completed, I am still missing some parts though, in particular some silicone hose that I had poorly sized ...

As material, I used the iron that I had left from the construction of the house, here because of the millions of termites that are in the ground, the frames are made of steel.

I have another hobby ( VM packed still) for which I have a gas burner, a 100 L stainless steel boiler (actually, 98 L Ø 50 X H 50) and a 100 L stainless steel fermenter. I bought another Ø 45 X H 45 stainless steel pot to serve as a support basket for the BIAB bag. I drilled the trifle of +/- 4,500 holes to make a colander ... a little less than 3,000 on the side
trame trous lateraux.png
I made a template in Excel...
and about 1,500 on the bottom ...
trous fond.png

Final result, not far from 4,500 holes a good HSS Cobalt Titanium drill bit needed (two in fact, Ø 5mm) !
poinconneur des Lilas.png
I mentioned the left-over iron I'm using, here one example...
cut parts for the base.png
You have to measure and cut the pieces, then put them together.
prepare the base for welding.png
Welding is not my specialty at all, but we get used to everything! I have the gear, because as we are in solar, I bought a generator with incorporated welding station so that the local craftsmen can mount the roof of the house ...
Welding like a Tenderfoot.png
The idea is to have a BIAB style brewing tank, pumping the boiling wort into the fermentation tank after hopping to pasteurize it, sending back the wort to the brewing tank then pumping it back to the fermentation tank by this time passing through the counter flow chiller.
Diagram UK.png
Schematic diagram

Unlike what can be seen on many projects on this forum, the lifting device on castors is independent of the brewing kettle.
treuil hoist.png
There are two reasons for this, firstly, no risk of tipping over when the basket comes out of the centre of gravity of the unit and secondly, I am limited in height because I use the same burner/boiler for my distillation still which needs all the available height in my distillery and coming soon, brewery…
no free space on the top.png
My distillation column: as you can see, I could not afford any additional 15cm for castors + supporting iron...
Here an overview, we will notice the metal plate which forms a shield between the burner and the valve / thermometer assembly ...
sculpture overview vue d ensemble.png
The brew kettle and the support of the fermenter…
base demontable.png
Here, we see that the support of the fermenter is nested in the base to allow easy movement towards the balcony of the house for example, the whole being quite heavy.
The winch is vastly oversized, but that's all I could find ...
Due to the basket inside the brew kettle, there's no space for the thermometer sensor, that's the reason for this set up...
montage vanne thermometre.png
Here a detail of the connections, we can notice the corrugated conduits that prevent the formation of folds in the silicone hose ...
connections raccordements.png
The three-way valve / pump connection would not be feasible without that corrugated conduit ...

As you can see, I am still waiting for parts that take between 15 and 20 days to arrive ...

The next project is the motorization of my Corona mill ...

Last edited:
Finally my project is about to be completed, I am still missing some parts though, in particular some silicone hose that I had poorly sized ...

As material, I used the iron that I had left from the construction of the house, here because of the millions of termites that are in the ground, the frames are made of steel.

I have another hobby ( VM packed still) for which I have a gas burner, a 100 L stainless steel boiler (actually, 98 L Ø 50 X H 50) and a 100 L stainless steel fermenter. I bought another Ø 45 X H 45 stainless steel pot to serve as a support basket for the BIAB bag. I drilled the trifle of +/- 4,500 holes to make a colander ... a little less than 3,000 on the side
View attachment 749338
I made a template in Excel...
and about 1,500 on the bottom ...
View attachment 749339

Final result, not far from 4,500 holes a good HSS Cobalt Titanium drill bit needed (two in fact, Ø 5mm) !
View attachment 749340
I mentioned the left-over iron I'm using, here one example...
View attachment 749341
You have to measure and cut the pieces, then put them together.
View attachment 749342
Welding is not my specialty at all, but we get used to everything! I have the gear, because as we are in solar, I bought a generator with incorporated welding station so that the local craftsmen can mount the roof of the house ...
View attachment 749343
The idea is to have a BIAB style brewing tank, pumping the boiling wort into the fermentation tank after hopping to pasteurize it, sending back the wort to the brewing tank then pumping it back to the fermentation tank by this time passing through the counter flow chiller.
View attachment 749344
Schematic diagram

Unlike what can be seen on many projects on this forum, the lifting device on castors is independent of the brewing kettle.
View attachment 749345
There are two reasons for this, firstly, no risk of tipping over when the basket comes out of the centre of gravity of the unit and secondly, I am limited in height because I use the same burner/boiler for my distillation still which needs all the available height in my distillery and coming soon, brewery…
View attachment 749346
My distillation column: as you can see, I could not afford any additional 15cm for castors + supporting iron...
Here an overview, we will notice the metal plate which forms a shield between the burner and the valve / thermometer assembly ...
View attachment 749347
The brew kettle and the support of the fermenter…
View attachment 749348
Here, we see that the support of the fermenter is nested in the base to allow easy movement towards the balcony of the house for example, the whole being quite heavy.
The winch is vastly oversized, but that's all I could find ...
Due to the basket inside the brew kettle, there's no space for the thermometer sensor, that's the reason for this set up...
View attachment 749349
Here a detail of the connections, we can notice the corrugated conduits that prevent the formation of folds in the silicone hose ...
View attachment 749350
The three-way valve / pump connection would not be feasible without that corrugated conduit ...

As you can see, I am still waiting for parts that take between 15 and 20 days to arrive ...

The next project is the motorization of my Corona mill ...
Good pics, good post. Wow that was a lot of drilling !

Back