My beer is super flat 100% of the time! Losing my sanity!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agtronic

Reaction score
Okay guys, this post has been a long time coming. This involves bottle conditioning and a persistent problem with (the lack of) carbonation. Those who hate reading, feel free to skip to the bullet points.

I rarely need to post anything on here because I typically find the answers I'm looking for by searching and researching. However, this one problem has plagued me for about a year now and has completely taken the fun out of homebrewing.

So a brief recap, I've been homebrewing on and off since about 2002. I've been brewing more frequently and more seriously the last 2-3 years. The quality of my beer has improved significantly over the years. I'm now experimenting with water chemistry and seeing great results, taste wise. I document everything for every batch, including priming sugar amounts.

Now, the last 10 batches of beer I have made have all suffered from the same problem. They just won't carbonate, at all. I will crack one open after 4 weeks and I barely get a sound, and there is not a bubble to be seen. They are DEAD flat.

At first, I figured I was probably being too sloppy with calculating the priming sugar. Up until maybe last year, carbing had never been a problem, so I didn't obsess about my sugar amounts. As this problem developed, I started to pay closer attention. And this last batch has confirmed that the amount of sugar is NOT the problem.

I'll break down my process in bullet point form. I hope I don't forget anything:

PROCESS:
  • Treat water to remove chloramines.
  • Mash, sparge.
  • Boil, chill.
  • Oxygenate with stone and O2.
  • Ferment using a starter (usually) for usually 2-3 weeks.
  • Calculate priming sugar (dextrose), boil in Erlenmeyer flask, cool.
  • Pour simple syrup into bottling bucket.
  • Rack beer into bottling bucket, fitted with a spigot, pickup tube, and bottle filling attachment.
  • Pour beer into sanitized bottles using attachment.
  • Cap bottles within ~2-3 minutes of filling.
  • Place bottles in storage room, which is a consistent 74-78°F. (Hot water tank is there.)
  • Wait 3-4 weeks, check carbonation, beer flat.

Now, here is the troubleshooting I have done:

Troubleshooting:
  • Thought my sugar was maybe sinking to the bottom or similar -> Stirred next batch for several minutes, trying to avoid splashing. NO GO.
  • Thought maybe my yeast was settling too quickly -> Tried inverting bottles after a week or so to re-suspend yeast. NO GO.
  • Thought my capper was causing sealing issues -> Tried different capper. NO GO.
  • Thought my high gravity beers (never more than 10% ABV) were causing issues with the yeast -> Added dry yeast to the bottling bucket. NO GO.
  • In frustration, added way more sugar (5.5oz dextrose to 4.5gal on a 8.5% abv beer) to see if it would help, and checked bottles almost daily after ~1 week to make sure I wasn't creating bottle bombs. Still nothing, these show a LITTLE bit of carbonation, like maybe 1.5 volumes or so, but not enough to form a head.

This is really frustrating. After this last experiment with the added sugar I am truly baffled. I have been thinking about it for weeks now, and now I have a new theory, but thought I'd ask on here.

Question: Is it possible that being too anal about not aerating the finished beer could be causing a problem? It almost seems as if this problem started when I made a few changes to my bottling bucket.

A little while ago, it really bugged me that there was an inch of beer at the bottom of my bucket that wouldn't go up into the spigot. So I made a little pickup tube using an old racking cane and a heat gun. Then, I noticed that there was a lot of air in the spigot that would bubble while beer flowed. So I inverted it, removed the valve, and used the smaller end and a mini cork to purge the air before bottling. The result is an ultra smooth fill, with almost no swirling or movement at all in the bottle, and virtually zero micro bubbles. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I'm tempted to try another batch and not worry about the air in the spigot and just be more rough with my process to see if that will help. I'm sooooooooooo sick of drinking flat beer. I should have saved my money from all these batches to buy some kegging equipment.

Sorry for the long post, I hope someone may have some ideas, and if not, well I'll keep experimenting and I'll be sure to update the thread with my findings for future readers.

Thanks for reading!

This is all that's left when I'm done bottling:
bottling_bucket_01.jpg

bottling_bucket_02.jpg

bottling_bucket_03.jpg

czars_revenge_08.jpg

edit: Had a few too many flat beers and noticed I screwed up this post. Fixed it.

Hello,

That sucks big time. I don't know if your bottle filler contraption could be the cause of the problem, I'm sure someone else can help you. I would think if you are racking on to your priming sugar solution and allowing it to sit for a while before bottling then the sugar should be mixed into solution and it doesn't matter how you fill your bottles. Still, try a batch with a normal spigot; maybe the cork is absorbing the sugar or something?

Anyway, I didn't have time to read your post too carefully but I didn't see anything about your cleaning/sanitising process. Have you changed sanitiser/cleanser/used dishwashing liquid to clean your bottles or anything like that? Only thing I can think of unless you are using oily adjuncts like chocolate every brew, which seems unlikely.

If I were you I'd throw all your bottle caps out (actually if it was me I would probably smash them all with a hammer while I cried about all my ruined beer and them throw them out), and get new ones from a different manufacturer. Maybe all your bottle caps are defective? Seems unlikely but yours is an unlikely situation.

Anyway, I hope you get your carb issues sorted out mate, good luck.

I only read the bullet points to be honest... but the only thing I can think of you don't seem to have considered is the capper itself. Any chance its not quite sealing the caps? Got a friend you can borrow one from? Usually ends up beign the simplest thigns we don't think about....

Option 2... start kegging :D

EDIT: Nevermind, guess I should have read the ret of your post before putting my .02 in. Option 2 still stands ;)

Hello,

That sucks big time. I don't know if your bottle filler contraption could be the cause of the problem, I'm sure someone else can help you. I would think if you are racking on to your priming sugar solution and allowing it to sit for a while before bottling then the sugar should be mixed into solution and it doesn't matter how you fill your bottles. Still, try a batch with a normal spigot; maybe the cork is absorbing the sugar or something?

Anyway, I didn't have time to read your post too carefully but I didn't see anything about your cleaning/sanitising process. Have you changed sanitiser/cleanser/used dishwashing liquid to clean your bottles or anything like that? Only thing I can think of unless you are using oily adjuncts like chocolate every brew, which seems unlikely.

If I were you I'd throw all your bottle caps out (actually if it was me I would probably smash them all with a hammer while I cried about all my ruined beer and them throw them out), and get new ones from a different manufacturer. Maybe all your bottle caps are defective? Seems unlikely but yours is an unlikely situation.

Anyway, I hope you get your carb issues sorted out mate, good luck.

Thanks for the reply!

I actually forgot to mention that I have tried 3 or 4 different bottle caps just to be sure. I even had some custom printed those turned out the same.

My sanitizing process is basically keep everything clean (just water) from batch to batch and sanitize using Aseptox ("One Step" in the US) for anything that touches the beer post boil. Never had an infection or anything like that in all my years so I'm guessing it's sufficient, without being overly anal about sanitizing. I too had thought maybe I'm killing the yeast with the Aseptox, but I researched it and apparently it's not possible to kill yeast with it.

And you're right in assuming, no chocolate, adjuncts, and no soap or jet dry anywhere in the process. I thought maybe I'm not getting any oxygen into the brew with the super smooth beer flow, but I'm not clear on whether or not yeast needs oxygen to work on the priming sugar.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't see how "not aerating" your finished beer would cause it to not carbonate......

If there is no carbonation - I can only think of a few reasons.
*No yeast getting into bottles..... but you said you even added dry yeast to bottling - so that should not be an issue.
*Something is killing the yeast in the bottle...... what are you sanitizing with. Of course, I would think this would give you some bad off flavors too if there was a chemical killing the yeast.... but, worth considering.
*Caps are leaking or not tight. Faulty capper. Bad caps. What kind of bottles.....? Regular long necks? sometimes the squatty ones or other odd bottles don't cap as well. Not using twist offs I assume.

SURE you are adding sugar? You did not get a bag of some other white powder mixed up with what you thought was your sugar?

Worst case scenario...... sounds like a splendid time to start kegging.....

Question: Is it possible that being too anal about not aerating the finished beer could be causing a problem? It almost seems as if this problem started when I made a few changes to my bottling bucket.

I'd be blown away if this is your problem. YOu have enough air in the headspace to accomodate any O2 needs, which are slight.

I'm still not convinced it isn't your capper/method, but here's a way to test different things: switch up your bottles. Try normal bottles, swing top bottles, plastic screw top bottles, cork and cage, anything to up your variability. This will tell you if your bottling method is faulty somewhere. I think your extra sugar experiment suggests you may be having the gas leak out.

Everything else seems fine. What temperature are you keeping the carbonating bottles?

I only read the bullet points to be honest... but the only thing I can think of you don't seem to have considered is the capper itself. Any chance its not quite sealing the caps? Got a friend you can borrow one from? Usually ends up beign the simplest thigns we don't think about....

Option 2... start kegging :D

EDIT: Nevermind, guess I should have read the ret of your post before putting my .02 in. Option 2 still stands ;)

Oops! Too many flat beers, I hadn't noticed that I screwed up the post. I fixed it now. :)

are you cooling the priming sugar solution? if you are adding it quite hot that could be the issue...

are you cooling the priming sugar solution? if you are adding it quite hot that could be the issue...

I do it this way every time, and rack the beer on top of it. Never had a problem.

Oh yes, great suggestions! I knew I'd forget a few points!

I bottle with 4-5 different bottle styles, none being twist off. I also fill a small plastic screw top coke bottle to "feel" for carbonation. Even that bottle has been flat.

For sanitizing, just using One Step, and I have never tried or used anything else. (Even when I got great carbonation.)

Bottles are kept in a room that typically stays around ~74-78°F.

For sugar, I have been buying dextrose from the same place pretty much at every brew, so I'm assuming it's different batches. I even used some I had in my cupboard which was from a completely different LHBS at the other end of town, same result. I too started to question the sugar at some point, but you know how dextrose looks powdery, almost like fibrous, well I could tell it "looked" like dextrose too. But who knows!

Honestly, I still keep going back to the capper being the issue, but I know I did ONE batch of Pale Ale with this capper and those came out amazing, about a year ago. But I'm STILL not convinced. The other capper I tried was the exact same model. I feel like trying another one again now, just to be sure.

Everything looks good to me. I'd second the recommendation of bottling in plastic PET bottles (1/2 liter soda bottles work fine). That will tell you if the problem is with the beer or the packaging. I bottle in 1/2 liter amber PET beer bottles and have never had a leak. The other thing you can do is to bottle in glass as normal, then put balloons over tops of the bottles and secure with rubber bands. If the balloons expand you've found your problem.

Edit: I see you posted about having tried the PET bottles while I was typing. Sorry. I got nothing else. In my experience flat beer + sugar in sealed bottle = carbonated beer.

Everything looks good to me. I'd second the recommendation of bottling in plastic PET bottles (1/2 liter soda bottles work fine). That will tell you if the problem is with the beer or the packaging. I bottle in 1/2 liter amber PET beer bottles and have never had a leak. The other thing you can do is to bottle in glass as normal, then put balloons over tops of the bottles and secure with rubber bands. If the balloons expand you've found your problem.

Balloons!! Genius!

Edit: I see you posted about having tried the PET bottles while I was typing. Sorry. I got nothing else. In my experience flat beer + sugar in sealed bottle = carbonated beer.

Hahaha! EXACTLY! That's what makes this soooo frustrating! But honestly, the balloon idea is genius! I am SO trying that next time!

The capper I am using is very similar to this one, but not exactly the same. The cup on mine looks to be a re-purposed brass pipe fitting with a spring-loaded magnet in the middle. The spring tension seems low considering it is supposed to hold the cap down while the cup pushes the edge down. The more I read everyone's posts, the more I think the capper is at fault.

bench-bottle-capper_1.jpg

Not a solution to the problem but will provide you with further proof of the problem:

-Record FG reading of beer prior to priming sugar
-Record SG reading of beer with priming sugar
-Record FG reading of beer after (non-)carbonation

Let's find out if this is a yeast problem or a loss-of-carbonation problem.

After fermentation are you racking or cold crashing - or some other process that might be reducing yeast count?

Oh yes, great suggestions! I knew I'd forget a few points!

I bottle with 4-5 different bottle styles, none being twist off. I also fill a small plastic screw top coke bottle to "feel" for carbonation. Even that bottle has been flat.

For sanitizing, just using One Step, and I have never tried or used anything else. (Even when I got great carbonation.)

That's really odd. What bottle styles are you using? Anything that doesn't require the capper (Like a grolsch-type swing type)? Just trying to eliminate that as the common variable.

Did you rehydrate your yeast before you added to the bottling bucket? Really, if there's yeast and sugar in there, you have a sealed environment and nothing external is killing your yeast, there's no reason you aren't getting carbonation.

As an aside: One-step is not a sanitizer, although many LHBS will tell you it is. One-Step is an oxygen-based cleaner, and you really should incorporate a proper sanitizer into your setup. Starsan is the best on the market. If all else fails, maybe make a switch here, although i'd be really surprised if this does the trick.

Oops wrong thread.

I just wanna know what the issue ends up being, because this is very odd. But I'm with everyone else saying it's probably a capper issue, although I don't know why the PET bottle wouldn't work either.

Try a different bottling bucket and gear, maybe you got some weird bug that eats sugar but doesn't produce co2 or taste bad.

Maybe try a different room? I wouldn't think the yeast would have a problem until 140ish, but maybe...

Have a friend bottle some of your beer and compare them? Figure out which step it is that way? You could even start passing off the fermenter right at pitching.

You don't mention what the bottles look like, is there a dusting of yeast like you'd expect? If there is, it's almost certainly a sealing issue, borrow a bench capper.

Thats really hilarious. I was going to suggest waiting a couple of days and submerge a bottle in a bucket of water. Just look for bubbles...:drunk:

When using your bench capper, how easily does the bottle slide out of the bell after capping? It shouldn't just slide out, it should be kinda tight. I have to wiggle the bottle back and forth to be able to pluck out the bottle. If it comes right out, it might not be crimping properly. I know that wouldn't explain the "no carb" in the plastic screw top.

Maybe take some beer before bottling, add it to a small bottle with some table sugar to see if it ferments.

Just out of curiosity, how full are filling the bottles before capping? How much headspace is there?

Could also take your bottles and turn them upside down in a 6 pack holder and set them on a paper towel for a couple days...... if the caps leak CO2, they will leak liquid too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am bottling a Pale Ale soonish, this time I will for sure try another capper just to be sure. And I'll do the balloon trick also.

For those who asked, I use a variety of bottles. 22oz, 12oz Sierra Nevada bottles, 12oz Dogfish bottles, some German Bitburger bottles, some Anchor bottles etc ... All have the same issue.

Want to laugh? I just cracked open a 22oz RIS that I have been slow to drink because it's just painful to drink flat. I wanted to take a pic of how flat it was. But of course, it was carbed PERFECTLY. This is the first of the batch, and one of my last bottles. It wasn't over carbed, so clearly not a sugar settling issue. This HAS to be the capper.

Yes, the yeast settles into a nice compact "cake" in the bottle after a few weeks. And it looks hazy for the first few weeks. So again, more signs that they are fermenting properly. It's just crazy that I tried two cappers and had the same issue.

The bottles tend to get stuck in the capper, and I have to wiggle it out. I wonder if this is pulling the cap off a bit.

Oh, and the yeast is usually 1056 or WLP001, sometimes US-05, S-04.

Thanks again guys. I'll keep everyone updated.

bottling_10.jpg

Have you tried a different room with a cooler temp? (68-70 for example)

Cooler temps generally just slow down carbonation. It wouldn't make much difference in terms of carbonation retained in the bottle though. Many belgian breweries bottle condition in the high 70s.

I'm not sure, but I think you said you tried two different cappers of the same type. Have you tried a wing capper? Friend of mine had that exact same capper and was having trouble with it not sealing the caps right.

Also didn't see an answer to the headspace question. I see you're using a bottling wand which should leave some space after you pull it out of the bottle, unless you're pulling it up and topping off further.

You also said a lot of your beers are higher gravity in the 10% range. I have a Wee Heavy, ~9%, that for the for six months I had it in the bottle was not very carbed. It's only gotten better as time as gone by. 18 months later and it's really good now.

Never tried the wing capper, but will definitely be trying something different this time around. I'll try a few things and will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again!

It does not help this issue but my couple beers I have done I have bottled one bottle in a clear bottle so I can see what is going on so I can be disappointed sooner than later.

So your stout was perfectly carbed? :mug: When you said it was one of your last bottles and the first of the batch, did you mean it was the first bottle from one of the batches you have bottled most recently? I remember you said you put more priming sugar into one batch to see if that was the problem. Was it this one? If that's the case, I would say invest in a scale and adjust your priming sugar amounts for the temperature of the beer.

I love the balloon idea, that's awesome. I was going to suggest re-bottling a commercial beer or soda and opening it a week or 2 later to see if it's a capper/bottle problem but the balloon trick seems much more fun!

Don't be so quick to keg. I never had carb issues with bottles but can't seem to get my kegs carbed worth a crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For those who asked, I use a variety of bottles. 22oz, 12oz Sierra Nevada bottles, 12oz Dogfish bottles, some German Bitburger bottles, some Anchor bottles etc ... All have the same issue.

bottling_10.jpg

Lose the Bitburger bottles. I had a friend give me something like 4 cases of them. The tops are a smidge too small and the caps won't seal.

Back