my basement brewery (almost finished)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
here's my almost finished basement brewery. the brewery it self is up and running but some of the walls need to be finished with tiles or pvc sheets.

the brew setup

IMG_20160420_193621.jpg

IMG_20160420_193633.jpg

the controller

2x 5500w 240v

IMG_20160327_154839.jpg

the fermenters with fold in table top

IMG_20160327_154756.jpg

IMG_20160420_193637.jpg

storage for my equipment

IMG_20160327_154907.jpg

and kegerator

IMG_20160327_154800.jpg

Looks good! Few questions though:

1. Is that an immersion chiller there (big copper coil)? If so, why so many ports on it?

2. Two kettles have the sight glass mounted right on the drain port, once you open the port, that sight glass becomes useless?

Did you build the sink/table? That's the setup I'm going for when I move to a bigger house. I'm sick of breaking my back washing stuff in the bathtub lol.

Amazing! I love it!
I have maybe 25% of your toys for brewing/fermenting (just 10G pot, home-made immersion chiller, and a whole bunch of fermentors - some glass some PET) - and probably 1/4 as many bins filled with accessories and stuff - and I do love stuff so I am jealous.

But I do have a 6-tap keggerrator that can hold 9 kegs or 45G (plus fermentation chamber that can double as keggerator that can hold another 3x5=15 G if needed). For me bottle-neck is always serving and to a smaller extent fermenting, not brewing.

Where do you serve you beer from?

Did you build the sink/table? That's the setup I'm going for when I move to a bigger house. I'm sick of breaking my back washing stuff in the bathtub lol.

I was the same way so what I started doing was cleaning my kettles in place. I connect a Hot water garden hose up to a sink nearby to clean and rinse the kettles. Drain into a 5 or 7 gallon bucket and dump the bucket.

Not ideal, but works.

Looking good! Wish I had a basement! I have to lug my rig and all my gear out on the back porch/lanai every brew day. You have a nice dedicated brewing area!

John

Looks good! Few questions though:

1. Is that an immersion chiller there (big copper coil)? If so, why so many ports on it?

2. Two kettles have the sight glass mounted right on the drain port, once you open the port, that sight glass becomes useless?

1 they are actualy 2 imersion chillers that fit together so i can use them seperatly on smaler batches and a smaler kettle

1 the sight glasses are only used to fill the kettle's to the correct level with a measuring stick and when the pumps are running a small rubber stopper is put in so it doesn't draw air in the lines. and when boiling is done i measure how much wort is left over.

the sink was bought in an auction from a failed food processing company for 40 euro (about 50 dollars) and the table top was found at a recycling company at the scrap yard and was about 25 euro (30 dollars) and i did all the welding myself since i have a tig at home.

the sink was bought in an auction from a failed food processing company for 40 euro (about 50 dollars) and the table top was found at a recycling company at the scrap yard and was about 25 euro (30 dollars) and i did all the welding myself since i have a tig at home.

Can you recommend a tig setup for a beginner? I have limited welding experience from trade school but I'm proficient with a brazing torch as I'm a refrigeration pipe fitter by trade. I've been wanting to pick up tig welding for a while now but the options are endless and I don't want to waste my money. I want to be able to weld stainless tables and fittings onto kettles etc...

Can you recommend a tig setup for a beginner? I have limited welding experience from trade school but I'm proficient with a brazing torch as I'm a refrigeration pipe fitter by trade. I've been wanting to pick up tig welding for a while now but the options are endless and I don't want to waste my money. I want to be able to weld stainless tables and fittings onto kettles etc...

the tig welder i have is a cheap one i bought online in holland its a
Giant WSM200 200A TIG DC inverter 265 euro's and it works great for home tig welding, don't excpect it go industrial piping but for thin sheet stainless and steel its perfect.
my dayjob is ship to schore crane repair so i'm used to stick welding en thick steel plate and 1700 ton constructions ;) butt i'm by far a perfect welder :)

the tig welder i have is a cheap one i bought online in holland its a
Giant WSM200 200A TIG DC inverter 265 euro's and it works great for home tig welding, don't excpect it go industrial piping but for thin sheet stainless and steel its perfect.
my dayjob is ship to schore crane repair so i'm used to stick welding en thick steel plate and 1700 ton constructions ;) butt i'm by far a perfect welder :)

I checked out that rig. A similar machine runs about 1200 Canadian around here. Would you expect to be able to weld a coupling to a keg or brew pot with yours?

Looks really good! What did you use on the ceiling? Does it have to be resistant to humidity, or does your hood keep it in check well enough?

I used a regualer wall paint becauls it fits best in the budget and it keeps verry well, but i need to put in a second hood. and a shroud to keep the vapor in check

Back