my adventure begins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronald C Gregory

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just started brewing my own mead about 6 months back. This weekend I am doing my First batch of beer. doing the 5 gallon Brewers Best Red Ale kit. looking forward to learning and the adventure that is in its infant stages. I'm a father of three, husband part time student and work 55 hours a week. I have been wanting to get into Brewing for a while now just finally got the time to get my brew room set up this winter. looking forward to the fact that I can plan my brews around a stupidly fully schedule.

Ron

Well, with being so busy you won't be in a big hurry to transfer your beer or anything which might be a blessing. Patience is the one of the things this hobby teaches above all else, so when life gets in the way (as it sounds like it does/will a lot with you) the fermentation and conditioning times might fly by. Enjoy the hobby, relax, learn and have fun!

Well, with being so busy you won't be in a big hurry to transfer your beer or anything which might be a blessing. Patience is the one of the things this hobby teaches above all else, so when life gets in the way (as it sounds like it does/will a lot with you) the fermentation and conditioning times might fly by. Enjoy the hobby, relax, learn and have fun!
Yes being able to basically set it and forget it was a big part of the draw to brewing for me. Having 3 children 4, 6, and 9 teachers patience as well so hopefully when I am more experienced I'll have the wisdom of a sage. I didn't say earlier but I'm from Akron Ohio

Just keep your equipment clean and keep your temps reasonably under control and you'll be fine. Resist the temptation to "sample" the wort for about a month so you don't risk infecting it. Keep things simple when you're starting out. You don't need a lot of fancy stuff to make great beer.

Greetings,

I just started brewing my own mead about 6 months back. This weekend I am doing my First batch of beer. doing the 5 gallon Brewers Best Red Ale kit. looking forward to learning and the adventure that is in its infant stages. I'm a father of three, husband part time student and work 55 hours a week. I have been wanting to get into Brewing for a while now just finally got the time to get my brew room set up this winter. looking forward to the fact that I can plan my brews around a stupidly fully schedule.

Ron

Red ale is a good choice for a beginners kit, IMO. It's flavorful, but not too hoppy, with subtle complexity from the toasted malts. Is it a liquid extract kit or partial mash?

Red ale is a good choice for a beginners kit, IMO. It's flavorful, but not too hoppy, with subtle complexity from the toasted malts. Is it a liquid extract kit or partial mash?
I believe it is an extract kit from the pdf instruction available on the website. I am not 100 % sure of that but will find out tomorrow after work when I pick up the kit.

@Ronald The Red Ale is a great kit. Coincidentally, it was my first kit as well, back in 2011.

If you plan to bottle, you'll need ~ 50 bottles for your first batch. Think friends, family, neighbors, work colleagues, etc. as contributors to building up your bottle inventory.

Do the best you can to keep active fermenting on the cool side, for a week or so. Ice water bath, ie swamp cooler, works great.

Don't rush the beer. Four weeks on the yeast, in fermenter, no opening the fermenter, no secondary, then bottle, then four weeks bottle conditioning at room temperature. It will be good.

@Ronald The Red Ale is a great kit. Coincidentally, it was my first kit as well, back in 2011.

If you plan to bottle, you'll need ~ 50 bottles for your first batch. Think friends, family, neighbors, work colleagues, etc. as contributors to building up your bottle inventory.

Do the best you can to keep active fermenting on the cool side, for a week or so. Ice water bath, ie swamp cooler, works great.

Don't rush the beer. Four weeks on the yeast, in fermenter, no opening the fermenter, no secondary, then bottle, then four weeks bottle conditioning at room temperature. It will be good.
I have 48 beer bottles currently, planning on using at least 1 larger resealable wine bottle so I can enjoy the beer first weekend of October at the renfaire. About 7 weeks out. I was planning on fermenting in a 6.5 gallon bucket with a lid, does that effect anything or should I just put it right into a carboy and leave it?

I was planning on fermenting in a 6.5 gallon bucket with a lid, does that effect anything or should I just put it right into a carboy and leave it?

Opinions differ. I like a bucket - built-in carrying handle, and no glass to break and cut you. The plastic carboys are also safe, but don't have the handle. With a swamp cooler, the handle is really helpful for getting it in and out. Really depends on your set-up.

Welcome to HBT.

I have 48 beer bottles currently, planning on using at least 1 larger resealable wine bottle so I can enjoy the beer first weekend of October at the renfaire. About 7 weeks out. I was planning on fermenting in a 6.5 gallon bucket with a lid, does that effect anything or should I just put it right into a carboy and leave it?
Welcome!
You'll be fine with the plastic bucket. You can use it for the entire fermentation. See how you like it for fermenting, cleaning, etc. The beer can go straight from there into the bottling bucket (if you have one).

]

We have success fermentation has started. Small change in plans was doing an American amber ale hot over the red ale kit. Ups delivery with the Irish ale kit was running late when I stopped by my LHBS so I went with the amber ale kit mostly because I was planning on doing it eventually anyway

Back