My 1st Score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
After browsing Craigslists today I came across a pretty cool score. But I need your help with a couple things. I know I got a great deal and it's one I will never get again. Please take a look at the items below and let me know what the gong price on these items would be so I can show the wife just how good of a deal it was.

Also, what should I do to start the clean up? I am planning on a good soaking and a little elbow grease but what are your thoughts and suggestions?

IMAG0563.jpg

You got to look through the dirt!

IMAG0564.jpg

These are 2 Banner Sanke connectors and the regulator works, but the gauges definitely need to be replaced.

IMAG0566-1.jpg

Ummm... Shipyard a local favorite!

IMAG0567.jpg

Plate chiller measures roughly 9x12x1.5

All of the above plus a 100# CO2 tank still certified and approved for a my local exchange program (definitely something I will be looking to down grade to something smaller).

I'll post my actual cost of this beauty after a few response.

Thanks for your input.

That is a pretty rad setup for me I would convert it for corny kegs for as dirty as it is a would low ball at 75 but a little more I would defently get it for my collection how much does he want?

I dunno I'd paid a the most $50 for that setup.. but that's just me

-=Jason=-

Not a bad find, especially since you got a 100lb C02 tank. Those are pricey!

Did I read that right? 100 lbs. Co2 tank??? I've had a few so I'm not sure....

If that's right, and you paid anything less than $200, it's a score!

Umm zero, he got a plate chiller.

From what I have read these "plate" cold chillers are actually a series of tubes in cased in an aluminum box. And most of the website I have seen say there usually is between 18-26 feet of coil inside the aluminum box.

NOt sure 100% but that is what I have read since my pick up..

Did I read that right? 100 lbs. Co2 tank??? I've had a few so I'm not sure....

If that's right, and you paid anything less than $200, it's a score!

Yes.... I scored a 100lb CO2 tank! Not sure what to do with it since I have a 20# already but... I'll take it either way.

It definitely was one of those scores you would never live down if you passed it up. I almost fell over then the women told me that she only wanted $10 for everything. She said there was a tank too, I was figuring a little 10# but nope it was a BIG boy. Still half full and certified.

So, now onto the more serious question... HOW DO I CLEAN THIS THING?

That is the definition of score! Good job. You should be set with CO2 for awhile. I'm guessing that the 100# tank was not used with the jockey box. :p

A soak in oxyclean as mentioned wouldn't hurt. You could also use one of those 'eraser' sponge/pad things. They're pretty amazing.

$10?! How'd you like to save yourself the trouble of cleaning that stuff up and double your money? I'm guessing the clean-up alone will be $200 and 40 hours of work. So, according to that estimate, I can save you hundreds of dollars and hours of effort...plus you'll make $10. Now that's a score! J/k. Use oxyclean or dish soap for surface stuff, and a beer-line cleaner for the lines/chill plate. Maybe starsan would work..but not sure. I have a kegorator and use a BLC Bear Line Cleaner for my lines. You can push the liquid through with a siphon or something.

I picked up a nasty old cold plate and think I cleaned it pretty well. (Only the outside block is aluminum, it's stainless lines inside it).

1) Flushed each line with high pressure hot water. The crap that came out was horrid.
2) Baked in oven at 350 for an hour.
3) Flushed again.
4) Baked again.
5) Made an "acid" mix with barkeepers friend and some water, and used my pump to recirculate through the plate for 20 minutes each line.
6) Flushed again.

Definitely replace all the plastic lines and o-rings though. Cheap enough on those parts.

I think that qualifies as a score. I think it qualifies for that spanish soccer guy to yell scooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore!

For real man! That's the score of the century!:rockin: I think PBW would clean that easy after a soak of a couple hours to loosen it.

I would soak it all in VERY hot PBW mixed with water that is about 190 then let it soak over night, scrub clean, then soak again in Star San. Awesome score btw!

Back