My 1st AG recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
I have a thread going on the All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing section of the Forum and said I would post this recipe. It's mostly taken from SNPA and other American Pale Ale recipes. I figured it will be easy enough for my first-ever all-grain brewing session! And the yeast should make it interesting. (It will also be my first time using Horizon hops)

Here it is - comments are welcome! :cool: :

Mark's 1st AG Pale Ale
Recipe 2005 by Mark Pannell

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014
ABV = 5.7%

Grains:
9 lbs. Rahr American 2-row pale malt (1.8-L)
1 lb. U.S. crystal malt, 2-row (30-L)
4 oz. 2-Row Belgian CaraPils (5.9-L)

Bittering hops:
1 oz. Perle [6.4% AAU] (60 mins.)
.25 oz. Horizon [10.2% AAU] (60 mins.)

Flavoring hops:
.75 oz. Cascade [6.0% AAU] (15 mins.)

Finishing hops:
.25 oz. Cascade [6.0% AAU] (0 mins.)

Dry hops:
.25 oz. Cascade [6.0% AAU]

Fining agent:
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins.)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast (previous cake)

Primary: 5 days at 72o F

Secondary: 14 days at 72o F

Total boil: 90 minutes

Heat 3.5 galllons of water to ~160o F. Mash grains at 153-155o F for 60 minutes. Recirculate until clear, ~20-30 minutes. Sparge with ~3 gallons of 170o F water. Add hops and Irish moss to schedule above. Cool wort to 70o - 75o F and pitch yeast. Add dry hops at secondary. Bottle when beer falls clear. Prime with 1-1/4 cups plain light DME.

Looks nice. Its very similar to my LWPA recipe (except I toasted grains and used WLP001), so I think you'll enjoy it.

Good luck on your first AG!!!! Don't get discouraged if you miss your strike temp....have some cool water on hand, and some warmer water on hand to "adjust" it if you need to.

Needs more hops!!! :D

Looks good man, best of luck with it! I'll be doing my first "solo" batch Sunday. Should be interesting.

So how long have you two been AG'in? (Sam and ORRELSE) How did you make your manifolds? Do you have pics of your setups? (I'll check the gallery). I'll probably finish what I started and go AG soon...just alot of work...

ORRELSE said:
Looks nice. Its very similar to my LWPA recipe (except I toasted grains and used WLP001)...

Yep, I used your's along with some other recipes to arrive at this one. But I still plan to do your LWPA with the WLP001. In fact, it will very likely be my next AG brew! Assuming all goes well with this one! ;)

Rhoobarb said:
I did mine out of CPVC from the Home Despot. It's similar to the one linked at the top of this thread. I'll post pics after this weekend.

Rhoobarb sorry to hijack your thread...

For Rightwing--My mashtun is a round cooler, so I used a stainless steel braid. Last time I brewed I really hit my efficiency well, so I like it the way it is. I was about to say screw the stainless braid and go with a manifold like everyone else, but I made a minor change to it on brewday and it worked nicely. I'll get some pics put up in the gallery of my set-up, very soon.
I'm going on my 5th all-grain batch next week.

rightwingnut said:
So how long have you two been AG'in? (Sam and ORRELSE) How did you make your manifolds? Do you have pics of your setups? (I'll check the gallery). I'll probably finish what I started and go AG soon...just alot of work...

Welcome back! I took the easy route and ordered this setup.

I was having a lot of trouble deciding exactly what I wanted to build, so I got fed up and bought one pre made. They ship super fast....they're in NC, so most orders form them show up here in two days.

you'll love the dry english ale yeast! it'll be good w/ the APA and those hops. i used the dry english ale on an american amber, and it rocked!

i just tapped my APA and used the Cali Ale, and it's very good. one of my better AG's. i used alot of cascade. first time i used fresh hops to dry hop. i just brewed an Irish Red, and used all fresh hops for the first time.

i use a stainless steel water feed line outer cover mesh, cooper tube, and a stopper. has worked like a charm everytime. no stuck mash, never comes apart.

Back