MW: American Horn of Hops,anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased midwest's American Horn of Hops "package". I'm mostly, a pale, amber, brown ale brewer and was wondering if anyone had had experience with this. I am a little worried as it's probably repackaged, as each variety is packed in a 6 oz bag.

American Horn of Hops :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

* 6 oz. Summit - 6 ounces of this hop variety alone provides you with 111 AAUs! Wow! A brand new hop variety to our lineup, this one packs some serious bittering potential in it's 18.5% alpha acid content. Also, works well in aroma additions or dry-hopping for strong tangerine and grapefruit-like citrus notes.
* 6 oz. Palisade - Bred as an aroma hop that has moderate bittering qualities, and contributes a mellow hop aroma and flavor that does well to mellow out stronger, more pungent American hops in a blend.
* 6 oz. Glacier - A bittering and aroma hop that will soften and round out the American hop citrus element of your beers with English-like smooth wood, earthy notes. This hop stands on its own, but many use it as a Willamette substitute.
* 6 oz. Ahtanum - A newer variety to the market, and a great stand-in for Cascade or Amarillo. This hop is suitable as a moderate bittering hop and Cascade-like aroma hop.

I have purchased the english horn and am very happy with it. However you have to find a way to store the rest in the freezer. I just used a double ziplock freezer bag.

All the hops came in real handy exept th Argentine cascades I can't find a use for them.

Okay. I store my hops double bagged in a freezer, anyway. I'll probably give it a try.

I have purchased the english horn and am very happy with it. However you have to find a way to store the rest in the freezer. I just used a double ziplock freezer bag.

All the hops came in real handy exept th Argentine cascades I can't find a use for them.

+1 - I got the english horn, too. Has been a great thing, except the argentine cascades.......I may just make a huge IPA type SMaSH to use them up.....

I love the American Horn of hops package. Lot's of good relatively new hops to experiment with. If you do a lot of APA's or IPA's this is a really good package.

+1 - I got the english horn, too. Has been a great thing, except the argentine cascades.......I may just make a huge IPA type SMaSH to use them up.....

Before you brew an IPA with them check out the thread that I think Revvy started about his Arg. Cascades smash. (I would have put it here but I am not that savvy.) I don't think he thought to much of the results.

On the other hand if you figure out something that tastes good with them let me know.

Back