Mutha-Forken Weatherman - $%&#@

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Warning Rant Ensuing....

I'm looking at the weather on Friday it says there will be rain all day on Sunday. So I'm like ok no brewing Sunday. Saturday during the day the weather report is revised to say it will be overcast all day. No rain expected.

I get up this morning to the sunlight is beaming in through the skylights and bedroom windows.

I'm thinking oh it should be good for brewing. So I start, its sunny and hotter than hell. So I start. Did the mash and started to collect the 1st run off. It starts getting cloudy. Then it clears as I start the batch sparge. Sparging is done. Then I go into the house to check the efficiency, I come out to see it getting dark again. I wait 10 minutes it clears up. Then I decide to fire up the burner for the boil. Just as its starting to come to a boil. Bam its getting dark again. 2-3 minutes later wind is picking up to 15, then 30 mph. The clouds open up in a heavy down pour. I hit the burner off and decide its time for a beer and a head scratching.... (Biermuncher's cream of three crops)

10 minutes later, (like right now as I'm typing) everything has stopped. Sun is out but its still thundering. WTF????

I guess its time to light the burner again!!!! :mad:

See you later... [Rant Over] :)

Have any of you got caught out in the rain like I did? I'm guessing the risks of contamination from rain water is fairly low. :eek:

Everytime its time to bottle for me it rains like the sky is falling no pun intended... Is God trying to tell me something?????????:mug:

Meteorology is one of the most lucrative carreers I know of. 6 figure salaries and true accuracy is not required of you.

But then again, you really know you are brewing when you find yourself dodging storm clouds.

It must have down poured 4 times during the 60 minute boil. I used a large pizza pan propped up by my long spoon. It sat on the keggle on a 45 degree angle. I drained into the fermentor through the airlock hole with the lid loosely on the pail. I think it minimized rain water.

Its a good thing I rehydrated my dry yeast and used my oxygen set-up. This was the first time with the oxygen. I think it worked good. Roughly 12 hours later its going at full-bore. This morning about 7AM I could hear the CO2 pumping out of the blow off.

This whole experience got me thinking about collecting rain water for brewing purposes. Have any of you guys heard of someone trying this?
:fro:

It could be worse, you could be working on rooftops trying diagnose electronic faults on air con PCBs while it's raining :)
I'm still doing partials on the stove top brews, I've got a decent stovetop with a wok burner. I have no idea what I'm going to do when I start doing AG outside :( At least I have a choice though, with my day job I don't.
Best of luck with the weather!

...This whole experience got me thinking about collecting rain water for brewing purposes. Have any of you guys heard of someone trying this? :fro:

One of the club members regularly does a lager he dubbs "Peckerwood" that he strictly uses rainwater in. Has one several Blue Ribbons in competitions local and not.

I have had plans to just collect the rain water for hop yard irrigation but may even choose to brew with some too.

It almost started raining on me yesterday. I was beginning my boil and it started to get dark. I pulled the burner underneath the outcropping of my porch at my apartment. It got really windy, broke a few trees in the "jungle" as we call it. It never did rain though.

Welcome to Iowa! You new here? :D

Damned KCCI. Their website was wrong as could be. If I had only known what I was in for.... I'm amazed at how dark it got then brightened up several times.

All I can say its a good thing I don't like up by Nevada. I think they had baseball sized hail!!! It would have hurt like a SOB getting beaned by that size of hail.

Back