Muntons Pre-crushed pale malt - WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioGrown

Reaction score
Normally I buy my grains pre-crushed from Midwest as I don't have a LHBS. However, recently on a trip I bought a 10 lb. bag of pre-crushed pale malt, packaged by Muntons (the shop did not have a mill) in an attempt to save on shipping. So yesterday I tried to brew an Irish Red where the Pale Malt was 89% of my bill. I mashed at 154 with a 1.25 ratio. When It came time to lauter, the **** was stuck. the mash looked like porridge. Ive never had this problem before with my Midwest grains, and ive done rye beers. I even switched out my braided tube with a slotted one with no luck. I ended up having to toss the whole thing out :(. So what the hell, is Muntons to blame here? has anyone had any similar experience with their pre-crushed grain?

Sorry to hear about your loss, I crush my own, I have no idea about the precrushed grain, maybe someone will chime in that has used it, good luck on your future brews:mug:

Usually the pre-crushed grains are well done. Maybe if you got the bottom of a hopper, a higher percentage of grain rather than husk was left behind.

Wow, never heard of pre-crushed from the manufacturer. Wild.

Rice hulls could save the day! I got a stuck sparge once and hated my life, so now I make about 1% of my grain bill rice hulls and have had happy sparges ever since.

Back