multi step infusion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloaf

Reaction score
I will be attempting to brew a Rochefort 10 clone and I do not plan to decoct however was thinking of a multi step mash instead. I don't have the equpment to do decoction. These are the original numbers: 30 min at 135*F, 40 min at 145*F, 20 min at 165*F and mashout 10 min for 172*F. Since I do have a large cooler for a mashtun(70qt) I figure I should be able to do a multi step mash, but after crunching some numbers for the past few days, I realized that I will have equpment issues and temp problems if I try to replicate the original. So I'm thinking of doing this instead. Protein rest at 135 for 30 min, Saccrification at 148 for 40 min, and mashout at 165 for 20 min. I can do this fairly easy however I'm trying to get a very fermentable wort due to being very high gravity. I hoping to be able to get close with that. Let me know if that sounds way off or won't work. This is my 1st multi step and have done a bunch of single infusion without issues.

beerloaf

I don't think a multi-step infusion is going to make the beer taste any better and it really isn't necessary for starch conversion. All you need for a decoction is a good sized soup kettle from your kitchen. If you aren't going to do a decoction I would just stick with a single infusion mash.

Thanks. I was thinking about that as well. I was thjinking I could mass somewhat low at 150 and just sparge regular with 170 and be done with it.

I was just in the same boat as you, I wanted something more challenging than a single infusion.

Decoctions are a lot of effort. I just did my first, it was a 'modified' double on a doppelbock. I'm hoping it was worth it. Next time I do a german lager I think I will just do a single decoction and try to compare the results, because that will take far less time.

PS - I don't know if you want to mash too low since the Rochefort 10 is very malty, right?

Back