Much respect to the first ever to taste an unknown fermented substance.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
My wife found a bucket of old seeding potatoes in the backyard. I had forgotten about it so it had been sitting there since early fall. She said whatever was in it smelled god awful and was wondering what the hell it was. I remembered what it was and went over to dispose of it. I looked down at it as i picked it up and i caught a whiff. It smelled terrible! I looked down at the watery murky mess that was inside and it looked like it was fermenting! It looked the same as ale yeast chewing on wort sugars but smelled nothing like beer. I wish i could describe the level of rancid nastiness I was holding. It was probably the worst smell I've ever experienced.
As I was taking the bucket of funk to dump in the woods i couldn't help but to think, "I wonder if this was how beer was discovered?" A wife yelling at her husband to get the forgotten about vat of fermenting crud out of the yard. The man, being curious and small brained, said to himself as he was carrying it, "I wonder what this tastes like? Hmm... I'm going to drink some."

I couldn't imagine drinking what was in my bucket but I'm sure what was in the first beer drinker's tub was also less than pleasant. So, in the end, to whom it may concern, thank you for taking one for the team, and drinking the ugliness that came from your laziness, thus giving us the sweet nectar of life. Beer!

My wife found a bucket of old seeding potatoes in the backyard. I had forgotten about it so it had been sitting there since early fall. She said whatever was in it smelled god awful and was wondering what the hell it was. I remembered what it was and went over to dispose of it. I looked down at it as i picked it up and i caught a whiff. It smelled terrible! I looked down at the watery murky mess that was inside and it looked like it was fermenting! It looked the same as ale yeast chewing on wort sugars but smelled nothing like beer. I wish i could describe the level of rancid nastiness I was holding. It was probably the worst smell I've ever experienced.
As I was taking the bucket of funk to dump in the woods i couldn't help but to think, "I wonder if this was how beer was discovered?" A wife yelling at her husband to get the forgotten about vat of fermenting crud out of the yard. The man, being curious and small brained, said to himself as he was carrying it, "I wonder what this tastes like? Hmm... I'm going to drink some."

I couldn't imagine drinking what was in my bucket but I'm sure what was in the first beer drinker's tub was also less than pleasant. So, in the end, to whom it may concern, thank you for taking one for the team, and drinking the ugliness that came from your laziness, thus giving us the sweet nectar of life. Beer!

Because of you the world will have to wait another 100 generations before they can enjoy "seeding potato beer." Sometimes you just have to take one for the time. It probably won't make you sick...probably. :tank:

Latest posts

Back