Mr. Beer in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye_Brewer1

Reaction score
Hello,

My brother in law bought me a mr. Beer three pack of hopped malt extract. I currently have a 5 & 6.5 gallon carboy & the mr. Beer is for 2.2 gallon batches. Would I be ok using the 5 gallon carboy or would the extra head space effect the beer? My other thought is to buy one of the 3-4 gallon water carboys from the grocery store. Any recommendations because I don't want to buy the mr. Beer kit?

You'll be fine in a 5 gal carboy (or the 6.5). Just be aware that you might not be able to get a hydrometer sample from it with a wine thief... Give it 3 weeks, let it clear, and likely you're golden.

I actually have a Mr Beer I received as a Christmas gift and got a few of their kits 50% off from Bed Bath and Beyond right after Christmas. The small amount of beer I get for the effort isn't enough for the speed I drink it, so I picked up a 5 gallon carboy and will use two of the cans of LME and then partial mash the rest to make a 4.5 gallon batch and pray I don't have a bad blowoff... If you don't feel like a partial mash, just get 3 pounds of DME to add to 2 cans of the Mr Beer LME and you should be golden doing 4-4.5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back