Moving to partial mash questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz_monroe

Reaction score
I've been brewing about 3 batches of beer per year for 3 or 4 years. All have been extract with specialty grain additions. Now I'd like to move on to something a little closer to all grain, so I figure partial mash is probably the best way to go with the least expense. I wanted to ensure that I have everything I need and don't really need anything more.

I have a 20 quart stainless steel brew pot. I also have a 20 quart aluminum pot to heat the sparge water. Is my brew pot big enough for partial mash?

I know that I can use a grain bag for a partial mash, or I can do the lauter tun thing with a cooler. Should I go with the grain bag or should I put together a cooler lauter tun?

Do have to invest in a chiller now? With my extract brews, I usually end up with about 2 to 2.5 gallons boiling, so I would think that I could cool it the same way as I do now and get the chiller later.

Thanks for any advice.

I think it depends on the size of PM you plan to do. Having 1-3 lb of grains would not need any special MLT, going 5 and over I's go for a cooler. Same with chiller, if you still plan to do concentrated boil of 3 g - no need for a chiller, closer to full boil - I think you'd really need one. I did my first PM with the same 3g pot I used to do boil in. Later when I learned the mechanics I moved to a cooler and a chiller for a bigger size mashes.

Thanks for the suggestions. My goal is to get some experience with grain and being able to work my way "up to" all grain. I figure I'll upgrade my equipment a little at a time. Right now I don't have the space right now, so the big brew pot will have to wait a little while.

Prior to finding this forum, I thought I would be stuck buying all my brew equipment. That's the big reason that I'm now thinking about my path to all grain, I can make some of my equipment.

Back