Moving Kegs Around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
So, I have a keg in the fridge on my back porch, and my grill is on the front porch…

If I move my keg to the front porch and pop it in a cooler, how long should I wait for the sludge to re-settle so I can serve relotovly clear beer? I keg from primary and don’t use gelatin.

If I was planning to serve it to a group of beer snobs and was really concerned I allow a week for it to settle and hope for the best. However it is possible you could have "relatively" clear beer much much sooner if there wasn't much sediment to start with and you were careful while moving it.

Another more complicated option, you could transfer the clear beer to a new keg using a liquid out to liquid out jumper. This will leave most of the sediment behind especially if you leave a couple pints in the old keg. Theoretically this beer should stay pretty clear even if moved and it will only cost the co2 used to purge and transfer.

Back