moving CO2 out of kegerator - question about regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjaffy

Reaction score
I'm finally moving my CO2 canister out of my keezer to make room for another keg and tap. I currently have a 3-body regulator attached to my CO2 so that I can carb and serve my 3 kegs at different levels. I'd like to leave those 3 regulators in the keezer, so I understand my options are:

1. get a high-pressure gas line to connect the CO2 from the outside of the keezer to the regulators

2. get a single regulator to connect to the canister, and connect this with a standard gas line into the 3-body regulator in the keezer

Is there any advantage to having a regulator on the CO2 canister vs. just the straight high pressure line?

If I go with a single-body regulator on the canister, do I have a high pressure gauge on that body or on the secondary regulator in the keezer, or on both? If on just one, does it matter which regulator has the high pressure gauge?

I'd go for option 2 cause high pressure line is expensive. You can probably get a reg for cheaper than the hose.

The single reg will be putting out much lower pressure to the triple reg so the high pressure gauge will be useless. Put the gauge on the single reg to measure tank pressure and plug the high pressure port on the triple reg. High pressure gauges are useless with co2, I don't use one at all.

Thanks for the response. The cost looks about the same where I'm looking between the two options. The regulator with fittings is around $40 as is the high pressure hose at kegconnection.com. So, those two being somewhat equal, is there another compelling reason to go with one over the other?

I'd also go with option two even with the price being equal. It just gives you more options and flexibility if you ever make changes to your system, and a CO2 reg is also a much easier item to sell than a high pressure hose if you ever change your mind. It also allows you to put a splitter or Y on the main regulator and have a line available outside the keezer, which is very handy for sealing lids, purging kegs, transfers, etc.

Steel braided line is cheap...
How long does your line need to be?

Paintball stores are your friend...

You just need a long enough braided line or coil remote and a couple of fittings.

I feel like you could do it for way less than 40 bucks.

Edit--but, if you can't... I'd say buy the reg

I'd also go with option two even with the price being equal. It just gives you more options and flexibility if you ever make changes to your system, and a CO2 reg is also a much easier item to sell than a high pressure hose if you ever change your mind. It also allows you to put a splitter or Y on the main regulator and have a line available outside the keezer, which is very handy for sealing lids, purging kegs, transfers, etc.

Ahhh - sold on the regulator - great idea with putting a Y on the outside. Thanks!

With a regulator outside on the tank and your 3-body inside you actually have 4 different presures inside. The tank regulator delivers its pressure through the 3-body and is available on the "high pressure" port where the high pressure gauge is normally mounted. Remove the high pressure gauge (if it has one) and attach another port for your 4th keg. Then for your outside regulator, mount a splitter port on it, as was mentioned, so you have that co2 available as well.

Back