Moving an aging mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherick

Reaction score
I am about to start a very, very special mead that will require at least a year or two of aging, and I am almost guaranteed to move during that time. I truly hate to ask, but can someone cure my ignorance. Is it harmful to the process to move a mead while it is aging? I ask because I can find no definitive answer.

And I will post the recipe after I see where it goes, a toast to a potential success.

To be honest I have no personal experience, but if it's in a glass carboy then you need to be sure that it is degassed and topped off to the neck with as little air as possible, then it should be fine. I would suggest a solid stopper during transport and the smoothest route possible. The main reasons is that topping off helps avoid oxidation and excessive splashing, degassing would keep it from blowing the stopper out. The transport shouldn't be that detrimental to mead like it is for beer (skunking anyone?) Just keep it from splashing around too much, avoid direct sunlight, and let it have the smoooothest ride possible.

I've transported mead in bulk before without issue. On top of the already suggested things, you can also fill the headspace with CO2. That's easy for me in my adapted sanke fermenter. I simply install a solid TC cap over the opening and then hit it with a few psi of CO2. Just vent the CO2 once you've moved it and you should be fine.

Back