Mountain Bike suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamespz03

Reaction score
I've decided to upgrade from my 2002 26" Trek 4300 hardtail. I've already ridden 5 bikes and I have my winner but I wanted to get advice for brands I haven't looked at yet in case there's something that might be better.

Budget - no more than 1k
Riding Style - fitness based (speed) with off-road (light trails and single tracks) and road riding.

Bikes I test rode:

Trek Marlin 5
Trek Marlin 7
Trek X-Caliber 7
Cannondale Trail 3
Cannondale Trail 4

Giant and Scott were recommended but I have not tried these out since they aren't within 20 minutes of me; I want to support a local shop.

Are there any other 29" H.T.'s I should look at? I want speed and features like remote lockout.

I'm 6'2" 215lbs so it needs to have the XL size.

Thanks,
James

I'm 6'2" and picked up an XL Gary Fisher a couple years ago, (now Trek). I wish I would have gotten the Large frame. If I had to do it again I would go with a 27.5". My current ride is a 29er with an XL frame and I feel uneasy on it. I would piece a bike together if I had to do it again.

I love my Diamondback Response XE, but it's not a 29er. It's on the low end of the price range, but they make some nice stuff if you want to spend a little more.

Thanks for the tips. I have a few more bikes to ride this upcoming weekend and might try the L with 27.5.

<- Former bike shop grease monkey / wrench turner.

I'll just add a few things.
For $1k, you really limit yourself, and will probably find it hard to differentiate between brands. At that price level, you're really just paying for a component spec, as the frames will all be of similar make & composition. If you can up your budget just a few hundred more dollars, you really open up the options.

I would look into a cyclocross bike if possible. You'll get the larger wheel size, something that can accommodate road tires, yet still able to fit a more aggressive trail style tire for fire roads and light single track. It also makes a great commuter bike.

A used surly cross check would be my suggestion. I believe REI carries the new ones for about $1,200.

I like Trek. I bought a hybrid model. I wonder if I couldn't just switch the wheels out for trail riding.

Back