Most versatile base malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
this is more of an opinion question. i am curious as to which base grain/malt do you brewers believe to be the most versatile? which one would you not hesitate to use in almost any style? my vote is for American 2-row, but that is just me.

I use 2-row and Vienna almost equally (pound for pound). I go through more Vienna but only because two of my "house" beers are almost entirely Vienna malt. Alternatively, I use 2-row in more of my recipes than any other base malt.

this is more of an opinion question. i am curious as to which base grain/malt do you brewers believe to be the most versatile? which one would you not hesitate to use in almost any style? my vote is for American 2-row, but that is just me.

It really depends on what beer styles you brew. Domestic (North American) 2-row pale is fine for American styles if that's what you brew but if you brew European beers it doesn't cut it IMO. A British bitter or German Kolsch made with domestic 2-row just isn't going to measure up.

Frankly with the availability of malts today I don't think it makes sense to limit yourself to one choice. It's not that hard to buy the right malt for the style. But if I had to buy only one malt to make a wide variety of styles it would be a German pale ale malt. It's light and dry enough to sub for North American pale and has enough flavor to make a decent UK ale.

Crisp pale malt is a good all-rounder. It's often Flagon barley. Cheaper and more neutral than MO. Not sure if you could make a Pilsner with it, though.

Latest posts

Back