MoreBeer Orders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Sorry guys if this is in the wrong section, but I'm trying to order some ingredients from morebeer and I'm wondering abut shipping. The shipping calculator on the website says ~$48. Is this cost of product and shipping combined or just e cost of shipping? I emailed but no response.

Need more info? What did you order?

btw - morebeer lowered the free shipping option this month so all you need to do is spend $39 on qualifying items and it ships free. I bought about $70 worth of stuff recently, shipped free and got it within 4 days.

edit - just noticed you are not US based, so shipping is probably going to be a lot.

I ordered a grain bag, a recipe kit, and yeast.

The calculator Gives me this:

Shipping Service Charge
UPS Worldwide Expedited. 156.99
UPS Express Saver 169.51
UPS Standard 44.28
USPS Priority Mail - (6 - 10 business days) 48.13

My question is this just the shipping charges, or shipping and products combined?

I ordered a grain bag, a recipe kit, and yeast.

The calculator Gives me this:

Shipping Service Charge
UPS Worldwide Expedited. 156.99
UPS Express Saver 169.51
UPS Standard 44.28
USPS Priority Mail - (6 - 10 business days) 48.13

My question is this just the shipping charges, or shipping and products combined?

You live in BFE! International shipping to that far away is going to be pricy. Recipe kits are relatively heavy, too.

USPS priority mail for 15 lbs to canada is roughly 45 bucks. Seems spot on with the prices you've shown. Plus customs forms get really old to fill out.

Are you expecting morebeer to eat the 45 dollar charge to ship a 45 dollar order to you? Not sure what you want us to tell you. That is the ACTUAL shipping cost though, based on a couple quick comparisons using UPS and USPS calcs.

There has got to be a Canadian based home brew shop that will ship it for less. That is ridiculous.

So I'd bet living in NL, you are use to higher shipping costs and slower shipping. I did a check, from montreal to your city, using canada post it is still 27 dollars for 15 lbs. With a lead time of 9-11 days.

Living in NL is hard to get things like this. The hobby is rare, but when I tell people I want to do AG they don't know what I'm talking about most of the time. Shipping is always expensive, but double the price, that's bad. There are only 3 brewery stores within 4-5 hours of here, but one carries ingredients so if I can find a good starter recipe I'll see if he can get me the ingredients. Any recommendations for a first time red ale recipe?

So, wait, you haven't brewed anything yet, and you're convinced you want to "do AG?" Take it one step at a time, man.

Where does it say I've never brewed before? I've been doing canned kits for a while and want to step up to BIAB all grain brewing. I already have everything except for the ingredients and the grain bag...

My advice to you antler is to talk to some local breweries/brewpubs and see if they will part with a sack of grain(usually for cost). Breweries love to see people interested in beer and are generally very happy to help out.

check the red ale in my sig.. its a proven recipe, that is a deep red, balanced hops and a nice malt flavor..

Thanks I'll look into this one!

My advice to you antler is to talk to some local breweries/brewpubs and see if they will part with a sack of grain(usually for cost). Breweries love to see people interested in beer and are generally very happy to help out.

Thanks! I'm gonna give this a try!

Or for a bag, if you can sew, go to your local WalMart-like store, find a curtain made from polyester voile and make one... that's what I did (a a lot of BiaBers do), and it works great... with the leftovers you can make a hop sock too. :)

Yes I've been to that store and talked to the guy before. He don't carry much all grain stuff, but he can get ingredients. I'll buy from him when I start doing different recipes, but for my first couple of attempts I'm gonna just try recipe kits.

Brewery Lanes prices on equipment is pretty high. He quoted me $180 for a dual body regulator, $90 for a used one. Also, a keg kit which comes with one corny, regulator, 2.5lb tank, and a picnic tap comes to $399.00.

Back