Morebeer - LME packets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
I just got my recent order from MoreBeer and the LME came in 3 & 4 lb foil packets instead of the plastic containers? Was that just an anomaly or is MoreBeer making a change in their packaging? These foil packets are a real pain the rear to get all of the LME rinsed out plus being a mess. And I thought cans were a pain!

I like the plastic containers best!!

I too just picked up some LME from b3 and it was in that bag. I picked it up from the retail shop and noticed that there had tons of it like that. I imagine that's the way they're going to do it now.

I'd imagine that it's more economical for them to package in custom-made bags. I noticed on a recent grain order that the bags looked like they had been made on a vacu-seal type machine. This should also allow for a bit of vacuum in the package, and that should contribute to ingredient freshness longevity.

Williams was using bags when I first started brewing. Put the bag in hot water before dumping it. Doesn't have to sit very long as you just need to heat the extract toughing the foil.

AHB switched over to the custom grain bags. Had one recently that wasn't sealed completely.

I just received one of these strange orders as well. If they have to ship for free on orders of $59 or more on most of their supplies; this must be the cheapest method.

Personally, I like the foil bags. In fact, they look like they might have a zip seal of some kind. They will at least lay flat in the fridge and will be easier to stack. Haven't opened them yet since UPS brought them this morning. The 2lb DME packs look odd too. I was used to the 3lb bags, but this was probably a packaging simplicity for them.

mrb said:
Personally, I like the foil bags. In fact, they look like they might have a zip seal of some kind. They will at least lay flat in the fridge and will be easier to stack.

Same thing from a recent morebeer.com order myself. My question, should I store LME in the fridge before I use it in a brew?

That seems to be the general consensus around here. You can just warm it up a bit once you are ready to use it.

Back