more OG head scratching...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
so since I got beersmith, since I started doing full volume boils, and since I figured out how to scale my recipes correctly, I've had more success with getting the OG's closer to what beersmith predicts. but yesterday my OG was off again-1.042 instead of 1.037. my questions are: 1. how much of a difference should worry me? 2. what do you think I'm doing wrong? I steeped the specialty grains in 1 gal of water @ 160F for 30min, and did a full volume (6 gal) boil. thanks for your help. here's the recipe:

Mild

Type: Extract
Date: 1/7/2010
Batch Size: 18.93 L
Boil Size: 22.71 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.89 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 79.86 %
0.19 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.13 %
0.14 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.01 %
0.09 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.99 %
0.05 kg Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
19.34 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
0.84 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.037 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity:
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.59 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 15.3 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 19.0 SRM Color: Color

If you boiled 6 gallons I'm assuming you ended up with closer to 5 gallons. Did your calculations account for this loss. It seems to me if you had ended up with 6 gallons into the fermentor, you would have just about hit your predicted OG. The 1.042 seems correct if you indeed ended up with about 5 gallons.

yes, I boiled 6 and ended up with about 5. how did you calculate that? is there a way to specify that on beersmith? thanks for the quick response

While I'm sure there is a way to do this on beersmith, I don't have that program. I calculated it using this free online calculator

Hopefully someone will chime in on how to change this in beersmith, I imagine it must be a simple step. I'm thinking beersmith can also scale the recipes for you.

As long as you specify a 5 gallon batch volume and a 6 gallon boil volume, the numbers in Beersmith should work out correctly. It was only 5 points, so it could be attributed to the grains or perhaps the extract you used had a higher yield than what Beersmith assumed. Hope you figure it out.

hmmm...that's what i did, in beersmith- 5g batch for 6g boil. maybe the grains/extract aren't exactly the same, and account for that. but i don't understand why plugging it into the beer calculator would give the OG i ended up with. so 5 points not that big of a deal, then? thanks

If you are using the stock values for extract OG you will get different measurements than what beersmith thinks you should get. Every batch I did was .006 off until I changed the default values to match my LHBS LME.

that must be it-I'll dig around for that info. thanks, everyone for the help!

Back