more DME questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug1395

Reaction score
I'm considering buying bulk dme but I have a few questions.how long is the recommed shelf life?Is the only difference between dme and lme the. % of moisture. I'm going to be growing my own hops and have read all the threads on washing yeast. The dme along with gowing hops and washing yeast just seams like a great way to keep the price down.So I guess what I'm asking is why don`t everyone do this??

DME has a near indefinite shelf life provided it is kept dry. That is sealed and in a low humidity environment.

More don't do this because a sack of Base grain pales in comparison to the cost of a bulk DME.

your right the only difference is the % moisture. but DME also gives you a higher SG per pound per gallon of wort.

LME gives you 36 ppg (points per pound per gallon) and DME gives you 44 ppg. what this means is that if you add 1 pound of LME and bring the volume up to 1 gallon you will have an SG of 1.036. if you did the same with DME you would get an SG of 1.044

Everyone does things differently, some move to All Grain and never look back, others just don't have the space to store a 50# sack of DME or the means to keep it dry.

I guess it's like asking why do some people use a Mr. Beer kit and others a HERMS system.

you should know that another option for cheap extract is the LME from morebeer. It's almost as cheap as bulk DME without having to buy a large amount. Anything like 7 lbs and up and they give you the rock bottom bulk price + free shipping on orders over 60.00

Do a comparison to the price you get for bulk DME. I think you will be surprised at what a deal morebeer offers on LME.

thanks for your help, i 'll buy a bag in the summer I only live about 30 miles from labelpeelers . I cant say enough good things about the people in that store.

@doug1395 - Make sure you call Matt or Chris in advance so you can pick it up in the store. The folks at Abruzzo's (LabelPeelers) are great! You'll be passing my house on the way so send me a PM when you go and we'll have a homebrew.

Yes I agree they are good people .I have been going there a long time and they have always treated me good. Two thumbs up for labelpeelers ( abruzzo's aka america's hobbie house )

I stopped in just yesterday on the way home from work to pick up a couple of goodies there.

Back