Mong's Blood Beer - How To?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudbuddy

Hang on, I had something for this
Reaction score
Alright so I just read the great Brew & A with @mongster (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/brewer-interview-Stian-Mong-Mongster.html)
and he mentioned that he wants to brew a blood beer. First off, that's metal as f*ck! Awesome dude! But it got me thinking, could this be possible, and what would it taste like? When would you use it? Would you use it as all of or a portion of your brewing water? As a boil addition? In secondary? What would it contribute or take away? Would the iron content be a problem? This is really getting me curious and I think we should discuss it further.

My first thought is that dealing with the high protein content and natural tendency to coagulate will be issues. I don't know how to get around it coagulating with either the boil or, if added to secondary, carbonation.

My first thought is that dealing with the high protein content and natural tendency to coagulate will be issues. I don't know how to get around it coagulating with either the boil or, if added to secondary, carbonation.

Maybe adding an anticoagulant from the pharmacy?

Maybe...are those available OTC? I wonder what they taste like. If we make the assumption that they're flavor neutral and do the job, the proteins could fall out in the boil; maybe some of the iron as well. That said, I'm not a fan of blood sausage, so boiling the blood wouldn't be my first inclination. Of course, this is making the assumption that cooked blood may be worse than uncooked.

Heparin is the first anticoagulant that comes to mind. It comes from mucous membranes of slaughtered animals. It is highly sulphonated, though, so I'm not sure about the taste. I'm pretty sure it's not absorbed by the gut, though I doubt it would make it through the boil. It's pretty labile.

do you think the heat from the boil might prevent coagulation? Also, if it did coagulate wouldn't it be a bit like a fining agent?

When it's time to butcher chickens I will let you all know.
Fresh poultry blood.
D

Boiling generally denatures protein so I would imagine that the clots would break up, but then the protein would precipitate out with the hot and cold break.

Didn't The joy of Home brewing have a recipe using a whole chicken?
Think I'll pass. What's fresh blood going for a gallon these days anyway?
D:cross:

497179.jpg

Didn't The joy of Home brewing have a recipe using a whole chicken?
Think I'll pass. What's fresh blood going for a gallon these days anyway?
D:cross:

Walter-toe-e1362598034803.jpg

You want a gallon of fresh blood? I can get you a gallon of fresh blood, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

If I'm not mistaken the Reinheitsgebot was enacted particularly to outlaw the practices of brewing with blood and other potentially toxic substances. Not that blood is always toxic, but when ingested raw it typically causes nausea, and vomiting depending on the quantity ingested and what not. Eitherway, blood beer is intriguing, but with all the iron from the blood don't you think it would taste like drinking a liquid utensil? In other words it would be like drinking liquid metal... Which is metal as f...

If I'm not mistaken the Reinheitsgebot was enacted particularly to outlaw the practices of brewing with blood and other potentially toxic substances. Not that blood is always toxic, but when ingested raw it typically causes nausea, and vomiting depending on the quantity ingested and what not. Eitherway, blood beer is intriguing, but with all the iron from the blood don't you think it would taste like drinking a liquid utensil? In other words it would be like drinking liquid metal... Which is metal as f...

Blood definitely falls outside the rheinheitsgebot accepted ingredients, but I never knew that the law was specifically to prevent blood use. I read it on the internet now though, so it must be true

I don't remember where I read that bit, but apparently people used to use all sorts of crazy ingredients, to include blood. I read it years and years ago though, so I don't know. As for the truths of the internet, well I could have been making that up.

:cross:

I don't remember where I red that bit, but apparently people used to use all sorts of crazy ingredients, to include blood. I read it years and years ago though, so I don't know. As for the truths of the internet, well I could have been making that up.

:cross:

Macbeth. The three witches are making a sweet IPA in a cave. Note the last line. You've forgotten all the bard's stuff I bet :)

Round about the caldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.—
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
2 WITCH. Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
3 WITCH. Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat, and slips of yew
Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,—
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingrediants of our caldron.
2 WITCH. Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.

Maybe that's what I'm missing in my IPA. Brun'water doesn't have settings for gall of goat and owlet's wing though. I guess it all goes in the boil? Dog tongue sounds like a secondary aging type thing.

Heparin is the first anticoagulant that comes to mind. It comes from mucous membranes of slaughtered animals. It is highly sulphonated, though, so I'm not sure about the taste. I'm pretty sure it's not absorbed by the gut, though I doubt it would make it through the boil. It's pretty labile.

SUPER BAD IDEA http://www.drugs.com/sfx/heparin-side-effects.html

Also, I had some catfish bait that was made from coagulated chicken blood, looked and smelled like dog****.

What about blood thinners instead of anti coagulants? Then just add some carapils to give it some body

Back