Moldy fruit help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmtrees

Reaction score
Hey all, I have been brewing beer for a decade, and after switching to kegs this year, I decided I wanted some kombucha on tap. I made my first batch last month. The place I got my scoby from didn't send quite enough starter tea, so it took a few weeks for the batch to ferment out.

I finally pulled the scoby on Sunday and dropped in some diced strawberries for a secondary fermentation. I checked it last night and noticed a moldy spot on one of the berries that was poking above the liquid line. I scooped that out and then decided to just keg the kombucha. I siphoned from under the berries into the keg, pressurized it, and popped it in my keg fridge.

Is this batch safe to drink? I assume the mold was just because the berries were not fully submerged. But the mold had me a little freaked out. Anyone have an opinion?

I only add pasteurized juice for that reason.

I'd say... you'll be fine. What's the worst that could happen? I eat strawberries that are suspect all the time.

If your pH is low enough, it shouldn't survive.

Back