Mold.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaggard

Reaction score
I have mold in my 1 gallon secondary. Is the beer beneath still ok? Anyone bottle beer from a contaminated carboy and have it turn out alright? I'm obviously going to do my best to not disturb the top layer. Any people here able to share some mold stories?

View attachment 1500298625967.jpg

White mold is "ok". Black mold is not. That said I put "ok" in quotes because it's obviously infected and it may not turn out like you want. I would probably dump it. Something went wrong with your sanitation and you could have bacteria in there too. Which might mean bottle bombs.

White mold is "ok". Black mold is not. That said I put "ok" in quotes because it's obviously infected and it may not turn out like you want. I would probably dump it. Something went wrong with your sanitation and you could have bacteria in there too. Which might mean bottle bombs.

Infection for sure, not all growths are bad, like pellicle for instance, thats how sours are made I doubt thats what you were aiming for

Since its only a gallon, you can always "attempt" to drink it. You won't get sick and die, it just won't be pleasant beer.

Take a look at your sanitation practices then adjust as needed

Be aware that mold spores are everywhere and in the air. Leaving your wort exposed for any time at all, poses a risk of mold infection. In addition, sanitizers such as StarSan are less effective than Iodophor at combating mold.

With that said, I've seen mold colonies inside my fermenter before I started using Iodophor more regularly. But I thought the beers made during that period were still fine to drink. I wouldn't worry too much about finding mold in your fermenter.

Back