Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
So after bottling this weekend I was disassembling and cleaning my equipment. After washing and rinsing everything I noticed a piece of black "stuff" in the water. I think it may have been mold that came out of the spigot from the bottling bucket. Again, this was AFTER bottling. I'm afraid the whole batch is going to go bad if my hunch is right. I mixed 2.5 gallons of star san solution in the bottling bucket and ran it all out into the sink through the spigot before I transferred for bottling. What do you think? Am I screwed? I will definately be picking up a couple new spigots before next brew day!

If it was mold, i'm sure the starsan killed it. You shouldn't have any problems.

It could also have been a bit of burnt residue off the bottom of the BK. Another reason I started pouring the wort through a fine mesh strainer into the FV. I also use aquarium brushes to clean the spigots on my fermenters at clean up time.

It could also have been a bit of burnt residue off the bottom of the BK. Another reason I started pouring the wort through a fine mesh strainer into the FV. I also use aquarium brushes to clean the spigots on my fermenters at clean up time.

+1

Yeah buddy I strain all mine too!

If you used Star san though you're perfectly OK. Using an aquarium brush like the above mentions is a great idea though.

Back