Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWitmer

Reaction score
I started a 3 gallon batch of cider 3 days ago. The 1st day I pressed the apples and filtered through a cloth from the home brew store. I put the Campden in let it sit for a day. As the cider began to settle on that first day sediment went to the bottom and a dark frothy crusty 1/2 inch layer settled on top. After 24 hours the yeast was added.

It seems to be bubbling a bit today, but what is worrying me is I see some tiny patches of green mold on top of the crust (there is probably correct term for this crust).

I has been very cautious with sterilizing everything used in the process.

Can I syphon into another container and do I need to syphon the sediment at the bottom?

Any thought are appreciated - I would prefer not to throw this batch out.

I would hate to jump in and sound stupid but is this in a carboy? I was thinking if it was, you could fill the carboy up with water or something up to the very tip top till it starts to over flow. Then you could just blow the green off of it or use a spoon. Siphon a couple of inches back off to give the airlock room to work. But I don't know, I am a wine guy.

It is a carboy- will topping it up mess with the sugar level?

Yes it can if adding too much. How far down is it now? You could measure it before and after and make an adjustment.

Or just give it a good stir and rack it. It depends on how full it is.

the french call that crust the 'chapeau brun' = brown hat. silly french... but they're right, it looks like a felt hat. generally i leave the fresh cider in a bucket for a couple days and scrape the hat off as it forms, easier than trying to siphon from under it. but that's what i would do, siphon out from underneath the moldy hat (i have never seen mold form that quickly, or at all actually, are you 100% sure it's mold??) and see what happens, keep an eye on it to make sure it looks normal as fermentation starts. i wouldn't worry about the sediment at this point since it is just apple stuff and not lees from the yeast.

lol, silly french...
eh zilly A-mare-ikcans zeh call it Rhino Fartz, but zeh rrr right it semells very bad.

Back