Modified Brewhouse IPA Recipe - What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redline

Reaction score
So I've just finished my first batch (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-first-beer-complete-pale-ale-w-pics-249466/) and I'm looking to brew an IPA next.

I found a recipe online for a modified IPA kit, using liquid yeast and dry-hopping. This recipe calls for a lot of dry hops, what do you guys think? Too much? Feedback appreciated

India pale ale Brewhouse kit
Wyeast 1968 London ESB ale liquid yeast
21 g Cascade hop pellets for dry hopping last 7-10 days in fermenter
21 g Columbus hop pellets for dry hopping last 7-10 days in fermenter

My scale for IPA hops doesn't know what 1.5 ounces of dry hops are, it views that amount as a funny tickle on its back whilst it waits for the real dry hops to be added.

In all seriousness though, that is fine, you can easily go a lot more than that depending on recipe, gravity, and most of all personal preference.

Thanks for the input.

What about the brand/kind of hops and yeast? Do those seem appropriate for an IPA?

Depends on what you are going for. If you are going for a British style IPA then you want different hops. If you are going for an American IPA, Cascade is the classic hop for that style. The ESB yeast is good for British styles, for American styles I prefer something like Wyeast 1056 or better 1272 (I think that is what it is, American Ale II) as they ferment cleaner and attenuate better.

I just realized you are from BC. Last time I was up there I went to a Scottish pub with a huge selection of beers. They had a handful of local IPA's and I was itching for a good hoppy beer so I asked the waitress to bring me the hoppyist IPA they had. It was less hoppy than most pale ales brewed in the Seattle area. That said, unless you frequent coming down south and drinking Seattle beers you might not be used to massive hopping rates so your 1.5 ounces of dry hopping probably would be good for your palette. If you start drinking really hoppy beers you will get used to them and the sky is the limit for how much you use.

Thanks for the reply. Ya up in Vancouver the IPAs are nothing like they are down south, but my pallet probably falls somewhere in the middle.

Would you recommend just using 1.5-2 oz of Cascade hops? What is the advantage of using different kinds of hops in the same batch?

Thanks for the reply. Ya up in Vancouver the IPAs are nothing like they are down south, but my pallet probably falls somewhere in the middle.

Would you recommend just using 1.5-2 oz of Cascade hops? What is the advantage of using different kinds of hops in the same batch?

Bump - any thoughts on this?

Back