Mmkay I'm going to ferment in cornies now....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shalenkur

Reaction score
IMG_20210116_194651.jpg

I thought I would put hot wort in there and pitch tomorrow.....
F**ck
it works in stainless steel.fermenters lol

Lol I know a glass carboy would handle the heat but I'm not trying it.....

Oh well. Piss on Northern Brewer anyways

No no no no and no.
One might get away with dumping hot wort in a glass carboy a few times but the thermal shock is accumulative and is the primary cause of the classic "bottom fell out" finale. With luck the offender gets away without being carved up a treat. If not...well, see the shattered carboy thread (eek! :eek: )

No bueno. File under "Definitely Do Not Do That"...

Cheers! (And "Let's be safe out there!")

Well I filled 3 cornies with hot wort, might be a bad idea. Rubber bottoms might get unglued from the heat.

Anybody do no chill in corny kegs?

Well I filled 3 cornies with hot wort, might be a bad idea. Rubber bottoms might get unglued from the heat.

I do and have been for quite some time. No issue with the rubber buttoms yet.

I have a friend that ferments in cornies, but I’m pretty sure he cools the wort prior to transfer. But I don’t believe you’d have problems with putting hot wort in a corny or have the rubber parts come off.

If the rubber portions come off, just glue back down with "Gorilla Glue" and you'll be fine. I had a few "bargain" kegs with loose rubber tops that I repaired in this fashion and they are still solid after several years.

Yes, I do. I've only done a few batches so far but no problems. I've got a couple of those big plastic tubs with the rope handles and I'm thinking of putting the keg in one and filling with cold water. I'm going to do this just to speed up the process a little, but in case there is a problem with the rubber falling off, that should help with it too.

I know that fermenting in cornies is popular. I just think they would be a PITA to clean the krausen ring from inside them. And you'd have to fill with less than 5G in order to have any headspace for the krausen too... I guess that SSBrewTech keg washer could help with the cleaning but ouch, they are sure proud of it.

I'll say the idea is intriguing but I've not tried it for those reasons.

So the no chill worked fine rubber still intact the next day. Decided not to ferment in keg, mainly because lack of headapace. I dumped cool wort into some plastic and one glass carboy. The beer is already in bottles and kegs with priming sugar!

Thanks Day_tripper for the warning on hot liquid in carboys! I'm glad I didn't use a glass carboy.

I think one advantage is the hot wort will sterilize the inside of corny and it's sealed so one could theoretically hold the sterile wort in the sealed corny for days if needed. I wonder how long worth would stay good if sterile and kept cold?

Back