MM gold malt extract (LME) + 1lb roasted barley (steep) = stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarbit

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what I need to brew my first stout.

I know there's dark malt extract out there, but since I have a few 6lb bottles of Maillard Malts gold LME I was wondering if I could get away with using that and just steeping the brew with roasted barley and maybe some oatmeal...

I would suggest looking at some all grain recipes, your gold extract is subbing for the lighter base grain and you will need to add the darker special malts to make a stout.

A pound of roasted barley sound like a lot, but I'm no recipe expert and not a stout guy either, but your on the right track.

With enough of the right specialty grains, you could make a super dark beer using extra light extract.

Those two ingredients won't get you too far. They'd make a 4% ABV beer that's not quite dark enough for stout.

Here's what I'd do:

8# Gold LME
1# roast barley
8oz Crystal 60
8oz Chocolate 350L

2oz Fuggles @ 60m

Yeah I know you'd use part of another LME jug. You could just get 2# of DME if you don't want to crack another jug.

The roast barley will make a pretty dry-tasting stout so you add some C60 for sweetness, body, and toffee. The chocolate adds a coffee/chocolate flavor. Both those also darken the beer to stout territory, about 35 SRM.

The Fuggles will give you around 20IBU. Maybe even pull them back to 45m because the roast barley and chocolate malt make it bitter/dry enough.

Back