MLT Dead Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robkeyser

Reaction score
Hi (1st post):

I bought a pair of Coleman 48qt coolers to make a HLT and MLT. Amazon.com: Coleman 48-qt. Chest Cooler - Blue: Sports & Outdoors

The problem is that there's ~0.5 gallon of dead volume (liquid left in the bottom of the cooler after draining) when the cooler is sitting flat on the ground. The cooler doesn't have a recessed drain, it's about 1/3 of an inch above the bottom. Is that going to be a problem? Do i need to worry about that last 0.5 gallon? I'm planning on batch sparging and using a screen. I could tilt it up, or build an angled platform. Or I could just ignore it. Any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar Coleman cooler for my MLT. I just tilt mine by puting a book or something underneath (slowly and carefully, and just a little bit). My fear in doing this is upsetting the grain bed, compaction, and ultimatly pressing out tannins. I have not had a problem with this method to date though, and my loss is very minimal now--not even worth measuring...

I made a manifold that sits flat against the bottom of mine, using tubing on the valve always you to syphon all but about 1 cup worth.

You can easily add a dip tube between the drain and the mainfold/braid, as long as you drain using a bit of tubing suction will allow you to drain well below the outlet. I end up with less then a cup in the bottom of my MLT.

It is hard to see in the below pic, but the piece of copper tubing is bent towards the bottom of the MLT.

Braid_MLT_HBT.jpg

Back