Mixing the Yeast into the Beer Mixture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sreichenberger

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have been given a home brew kit for making beer at home during the holidays. The first beer I will attempt: an IPA.

I know that the lack of bubbles in the S-shaped Air Lock is not an indication that fermentation hasn't started (well, specially because I added the yeast into the beer mixture about 12 hours ago). But here's my concern:

I was told to add the yeast on top of the beer mixture, close the lid, and gently move the bucket around so that the yeast would mix nicely with the liquid. I, on the other hand, gently poured the yeast on top of the mixture, and used a sterilized, clean wooden spoon to mix the yeast evenly on top of the mixture.

Did I just kill all the yeast? Will they have no effect at all? Please help.

Thanks,

Stephan

I never mix in the yeast, just dump it in. And next time if you do need to mix after your boil I'd use sanitized stainless. Sanitizing wood is a lot more difficult than stainless.

110 is a little high, but i don't know if its high enough to kill the yeast. You might want to get another packet of yeast just in case. In the future, generally, the closer to the mid 60's you can get your wort the better. High temps will cause a lot of undesirable off flavours as the yeast goes crazy.

Are you in a glass container? Do you see any foam (krausen) on top of the beer??

110 will not kill your yeast, but be prepared for unexpected flavors that may remind you of a Belgian ale.

Smokey is correct that it's better to be around 65 or 70 when adding yeast.

It will still be beer! Skål!

110 is WAY HIGH. Mightve killed yeast. Most yeast go up to 80s, maybe 90s max, at least for sustained peroids. And as noted above flavor should be ...interesting.

110 is a little high, but i don't know if its high enough to kill the yeast. You might want to get another packet of yeast just in case. In the future, generally, the closer to the mid 60's you can get your wort the better. High temps will cause a lot of undesirable off flavours as the yeast goes crazy.

Are you in a glass container? Do you see any foam (krausen) on top of the beer??

It's a plastic container. Should I open and check?

If you're only 12 hours or so in, I'd say just leave it till tomorrow and see if it picks up. I've had some yeast strains take up to 36 hours to start showing signs. If possible though, try to get to a shop and pick up another pack of yeast just in case.

If you're only 12 hours or so in, I'd say just leave it till tomorrow and see if it picks up. I've had some yeast strains take up to 36 hours to start showing signs. If possible though, try to get to a shop and pick up another pack of yeast just in case.

OK, will do. Another quick question: should I already add the extra yeast in or wait at this stage?

I know that the lack of bubbles in the S-shaped Air Lock is not an indication that fermentation hasn't started (well, specially because I added the yeast into the beer mixture about 12 hours ago). But here's my concern:

12 hours isn't very long. If it's a liquid yeast with no starter, I would expect to see signs of fermentation within another 12-24 hrs. If it's a dry yeast, the only ones I've used have been pretty vigorous and got going a little quicker.

if the container is opaque, you don't have to take off the lid, just pull out the airlock and plug and peep through the hole to see what it looks like.

If 24h later there is no activity...yeast is dead. No way a yeast at 110 degrees will take more than 24hnto start.
Usually a lager yeast takes 2 days to start. maybe 3. but that is at 50 degrees.

I took the air lock out and there is definitely some krausen in there.

1. Based on what I saw (attached the image of the krausen as looked from the hole and an image of what it could look like), is the existence of any krausen a good sign?

• Also, for the future, what would be the best and quickest way to cool a 5 gallon brewing bucket?

It's my first brewing batch, and the cooling part has gotten me perplexed. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2842.jpg

krausen.jpg

I broke almost every rule on my first batch, in part because I only had 12% barley wine to wash down blazing wings, but mostly because I had no friggin idea what I was doing. I posted many "please help me" to this forum and got a lot of great responses that helped me learn a lot about brewing. In the end, the beer turned out fantastic and I was worrying over nothing. Continue to learn, but the best lesson is = RDWHAHB

You are a better Man than me to put down hot wings with a 12% barley wine. You need a gold embossed man card for that one!:mug:

I took the air lock out and there is definitely some krausen in there.

1. Based on what I saw (attached the image of the krausen as looked from the hole and an image of what it could look like), is the existence of any krausen a good sign?

• Also, for the future, what would be the best and quickest way to cool a 5 gallon brewing bucket?

It's my first brewing batch, and the cooling part has gotten me perplexed. Thanks in advance!

With that amount fo krausen you must have a leak in your airlock, because it is fermenting HEAVILY and should be bubling away HARD.

Next time to cool down the 5 gallong bucket, put it in the tub with ice.
If you are using a KIT, you should try to cool down the first 3L of sugar and wort concentrate...and THEN...add the cool water. Much easier.

With that amount fo krausen you must have a leak in your airlock, because it is fermenting HEAVILY and should be bubling away HARD.

Next time to cool down the 5 gallong bucket, put it in the tub with ice.
If you are using a KIT, you should try to cool down the first 3L of sugar and wort concentrate...and THEN...add the cool water. Much easier.

I did just that, actually, which kind of brings me a peace of mind. The temperature was 110 F BEFORE adding the cold water. After adding the cold 2 gallons of water, it should have gone down to about 95 F or so.

The bucket already has that distinctive smell of brewing. I think it's going well! Only time will tell.

Also, I have been advised not to change bucket after two weeks (my kit's instructions says I should). Will it matter? Will the beer taste better if I just leave it on the same bucket for 4 weeks?

I did just that, actually, which kind of brings me a peace of mind. The temperature was 110 F BEFORE adding the cold water. After adding the cold 2 gallons of water, it should have gone down to about 95 F or so.

The bucket already has that distinctive smell of brewing. I think it's going well! Only time will tell.

Also, I have been advised not to change bucket after two weeks (my kit's instructions says I should). Will it matter? Will the beer taste better if I just leave it on the same bucket for 4 weeks?

Leave the top on and leave it in the same bucket, keep it as cool as you can.
You have made beer;)

Do not mess with the beer anymore. leave it there 4 to 6 weeks. then open and take a gravity measurement. if it's all OK that is if the FG was obtained....bottle it

Do not mess with the beer anymore. leave it there 4 to 6 weeks. then open and take a gravity measurement. if it's all OK that is if the FG was obtained....bottle it

I agree not to mess with the beer until it's ready to bottle. But 4-6 weeks?

That beer should be done after 1-2 weeks, 3 weeks tops, given the higher temps it's fermenting at it can use some extra time to "condition out."

3 weeks in the bucket is fine. It will be done after 1 week, and then it will clean up a bit.

But if he is bottling the extra weeks will help getting a clearer beer.
I have had Belgians that are done and clear in 3 weeks.
I have a blond belgian ale that is currently fermenting after 3 weeks and will wed another 3 to clear and set. better not to mess than to regret messing

110 is WAY HIGH. Mightve killed yeast. Most yeast go up to 80s, maybe 90s max, at least for sustained peroids. And as noted above flavor should be ...interesting.

I read that anything above 75F is high for adding yeast as it might be killed and therefore would need to re-pitch at a lower temp (ambient). I think the stirring is good though as is activates the yeast and helps them to respirate and then ferment faster.

Buy or make an Immersion Wort Chiller.They are totally worth the money and take so much time out of your brewday

Back