Mixing Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I was thinking about making a black IPA, however I was going to experiment with extracts. For example, maybye 1.5 lbs of dark lme with 5lbs XLite.. or something along those lines.

Thoughts?

First of all, if you go that route, you will most likely end up with a good beer that you will enjoy. So, not much downside.

My beef with using extracts that way is that you don't really know what they used to get the color and flavor. Like I said, maybe you don't need to know. But if you want to get scientific, or go all-grain, it's tough.

I once converted a recipe to all-grain that called for amber LME. The Breiss website said that they used 2-row, munich, and C-60. So I pulled some percentages out of thin air, and made the batch. It came out great, but it was just a bunch of guesses. Part of the fun, for sure.

Cheers!

I would tend to agree with the above. I did do a little bit of mix and match LME's/DME's when I was doing extracts, but it was mostly to make sure I was using up the supplies I had on hand. It worked well and made beer, but I wouldn't say that's what made extracts work for me for so long. After learning a bit more, I focused primarily on adding steeped grains into the mix and this really opened up the options for me, to the point where I wouldn't make an extract beer without.

If you're brewing "to style," the grains used are relatively important and like was said, you don't know what was used to make the LME. For example, if you're looking to avoid roasty characteristics, and the LME was made with grain that imparts roasty flavors, the beer might not end up as intended. Bottom line, you can control both color and a fair bit of flavor with steeped grains.

Good luck...I say go for it and learn what it does!

I just buy bulk Pilsen light LME at the lhbs. I use grains for color and other flavor.

I've been informed that rye would be something that couldn't be achieved very well steeping so rye lme would be an option there. Perhaps wheat lme is needed for certain wheat recipes as well?

Back