Missing Target Mash Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to AG brewing. I've done 8-10 batches and still feeling my way through the process. One thing I've noticed is that my mash temps are consistently coming out low. Most of my batches have been IPAs and call for mash temps around 156. I use BeerSmith and mash in a 10 gal round Igloo cooler. BeerSmith recommends a strike temp of around 168 . By the time I add all the grain and water, my mash temps are coming out at around 151. My preboil gravities have also been low.

Next time I'll try bumping up the strike temp by 4-5 degrees and see if that makes the difference. I'm just wondering where I'm off in my BeerSmith settings, or if there's something I'm doing procedurally that could be resulting in the lower temps.

Cheers

I mash in a rectangular cooler, and I've noticed that using calculators my mash temps come in 3-4°F low. To accommodate, while I'm heating my strike water, I put 3-4 gallons of 120-140°F water in the cooler to pre-heat it. Before mashing, I drain the water to a tub to be used for clean up later. Whenever I do this, the calculators hit the mash temps spot on. You might give this a try.

Beersmith is a great program but you have to tweak it to your system with a few brews to get it spot on. And even then your chasing perfection that's nearly impossible to achieve.

Are you entering the weight of you tun correctly? are you entering the temp of it and your grains correctly( every brew) ? Even after doing this, as you say shapes, construction and many variable all play a roll. Do not be afraid to adjust perimeters within Beersmith for your system. This is the only way to really make Beersmith your own. Once you have done that it is incredibly accurate.

And as you are already planning , a simple compensation of a couple degrees from past experience are invaluable knowledge to you and your future brewing. Bottom line: Computers and programs are helpful, but even more helpful is knowing your system yourself.

Once I have brewed a recipe once I know pretty much exactly what all the numbers are going to all be the next time conditions remaining the same. And if I need to adjust 2 degrees I do it, without consulting any computer program.

Physics is a constantly moving changing entity. To Keep up, your beer smith program only changes to match if you tell it to.

On the mash tab, there is space for grain temp and mash tun temp. Near the top of that page is a box for adjusting temp for equipment. Be sure it's checked. Also be sure your grain temp is accurate.

Now, I do preheat my mash tun, but have found that setting the mash tun temp to what I think I preheated it to doesn't give me exactly the right results. For my setup, setting that temperature lower gives me a more accurate strike temp.

What you should do is mash a batch, and see what you get. Using those results, put in your actual mash temp, and adjust the mash tun temp until you see your strike water temp match what you actually did. Use whatever mash tun temp you come up with in your next recipe, and you should come out closer to your intended result.

Also, try to keep your mash tun stored at a consistent temperature, (like inside), so you don't have that variable fluctuating wildly throughout the year.

I'm brewing today; while I'm heating the strike water, I'll boil a gallon of water on the stove and then put it in the mash tun (Igloo cooler) to preheat it. Makes a big difference. Also, I insulate that cooler while the boiled water is heating it up.

Thanks for all the responses. I believe I do have Beersmith set to "reasonable" settings, including weight, cooler & grain temp (68F - actual temp in the house). On my last brew I even put the cooler/tun outside in the sun for over an hour where the temp was in the low to mid 90's and still came up short. I'll increase the strike temp next time and see where that puts me.

Cheers

I use Beersmith and with the exact volumes and equipment profile it comes out with temps bang on .... predicted 9F drop ... that's what we get on a 20 Gal batch ..... as suggested try tweaking the settings and remember the longer the transfer hoses ... especially un-insulated ones, will cause more of a drop than you might think!

I use short as possible food grade silicone with rock wool wraps and foil insulation tape over the top.... work a treat.

Back